Homeā€ŗ General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting āœØ

Drama

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Bit of a random thred really. My mate was just on about her sister doing drama at school. She was shocked when I told her how much I loved it

I remember at school I was really shy when I first started and a year later came the dreaded 1st drama lesson. I thought I would hate it and at first I was really really shy. But I also kinda enjoyed it a bit. As it went on I decided to "overdo" my proformance and make it really over the top dramatic. Which obviously made it quite funny so when people laughed they were laughing because I was funny. My teacher was really supportive and kept telling me how good I actually was. Eventually I started feeling alot more confidant and began taking it a bit more seriously. To my amazement everyone was really supportive and always asked how I could act and change my voice the way I did. To be honest I didn't know. This lead to my class always asking me to read stuff out in English lessons and stuff because I would do the voices and emotions while reading it and to be honest I didn't even know I was doing it!

I started being bullied in other classes by people and then I realised drama was my emotional outlet! I played a character who was angry and I could shout and scream and cry! And it would all be part of an act but it actually allowed me to release my actual anger that was building up inside. If I played a character that was happy or excited, I had to put that much thought in to become that happy person. That for a short time I forgot about how I was feeling because I wasn't Emma. I was (insert name) and they were happy, extatic, jouful ect. So it became a coping method.

I took it for a GCSE and at my very last performance exam my form tutor and head of year came to watch I was terrified! But when I my results I got a C overall but a B in my actuall proformance which I was amazed with. In my next form time (before my lessons started) my tutor gave a talk on how he went to watch someone in a play the night before and said how he didn't expect it but was amazed by it and then named me. Talk about embarrassing šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ but I was touched to hear it.

I had two things I wanted to do in my future 1 was drama and the other was childcare.
Feeling there was no or very little jobs for drama I did childcare and loved it and i still do!!

I hadn't done drama for 5 years and middle of last year I was in English and we had to do a drama peice in groups. Because I came across as a little shy and quiet to my class (adults) no one seemed to bother with me when me and a friend needed on more person to join our group and no one seemed to offer anything so we had to do it in two rather than 3 or more which meant we had to talk to our audience as well as each other to do as the task asked.

I was playing a pregnant teenager and my friend a mother.

At the end we were asked to give comments on each others performance. One of the older members of the group said he was suprised to see a big character come out of such a small and shy person (im quite small šŸ˜) he the said he felt like it was a scene out of Eastenders. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ and didn't realise I could be dramatic. I noticed I felt a lot calmer and slept better that night. Although I didn't think I was, I must have been stressed and doing the drama released it.

Anyway I thought I'd randomly share that. Just wish I could still do it but I have no where to go (groups) and to be honest I haven't really got the time. But I really miss it very much and it's stress relieving benefits!

šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I think it also shows that you should never judge a book by it's cover!
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
    Wow that's amazing, ur really talented, is there not anywhere you could go every other week or something, it's a shame to give it up, by the sounds of it, u really enjoyed it and ur a star in the making!!
    Hi distraction thank you for your kind words :) unfortunately I looked into it and the groups I've found are for young people up to the age of 18 and im now 21. The only other groups I can find are college groups and I just haven't got the time :/. But I suppose it's not all bad I absolutely love my job working in a nursery but I have got to admit I miss it a lot! But who knows what could happen in the future......
    I think it's the fact that it's an outlet is the reason I enjoyed it the most ;)

Thank you again for reading and your lovely comments Xx
  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey One-in-a-million,
    That sounds so awesome! Don't give up doing something you're passionate about especially if you're good at it! Fingers crossed you find time one day to pursue drama again!

Drea :heart:
    I keep looking but so far nothing's come up :/ thanks guys ;)