Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Support with healthy eating

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
It may sound weird or stupid but I struggle with healthy eating. I get nervous about trying new foods as my diet is rubbish meaning there is very very little nutrition in my diet. It's ok for my mum and dad to say " just eat healthier." Or to ignore my problem but it's not as easy as that. I can't just try something and like or dislike it. It's quite hard to even try them. I've looked on the NHS website to see if it is possibly an eating disorder and seek support but unfortunately all I can find is eating disorders where people starve themselves, binge eat or make them selfs sick. Nothing about struggling to change and eat new foods.

My mum suggested i go on slimming world but I couldn't. Not with people's expectations or my mum monetring me. It's harder when people watch me when eating new things and comments like "come on then try it" or "you don't like it do you" don't help. I finely got up the courage to seek support with a nurse at my GP. I am seeing her for the first time next week. What if she just laughs at me or thinks im weird? I'm really nervous about it. In case she thinks im imiture or silly.

I wish I could just try new things with ease but I can't 😔

Comments

• pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Hi One-in-a-million,

You're not alone, a lot of people struggle with trying new, especially healthier foods, and it's difficult especially when others are urging you to try things that they put in front of you with them watching you or wanting you to stick to what works for them, not you. Think about what foods you do like, and try and find a similar healthier alternative. And don't just eat them on their own, especially if it's fruit or veg. Try to find a place for them in your main meals, and eat them with the other food on your plate as well as alone. Or, try healthier versions of your favourite foods, such as low fat or "baked not fried" crisps, or raw fruit/nut snacks instead of chocolate, such as Nakd (it is spelled like that) bars and nibbles. Beware, they are high in sugar, and although it's natural sugar, limit yourself with fruit and fruit snacks. The nurse is not going to laugh at you, she is there to help you. It's not her job to mock patients, and trust me, it's not immature or silly to find healthy eating difficult.

Pumpkin :)
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    Hi guys thanks for the advice. Mum did a stir fry last night and I still struggled to eat it. Lucky they went out so I was on my own. I managed to eat it but really struggled to eat it but i was been without my family being there. Not too sure how the nurse can help but hopefully she can give me advice or something.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
    Hi. Youve already got good replies but i just wanted to reassure you that the nurse wont think you are silly or weird. They just want to help you and there not judgemental otherwise they woudlnt be doing their job they are. They are trained and know a lot of stuff. And they are there to be used and everyone desrve the support and help. And will take you seriously because its affecting you, so dont let that get you worried.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thanks, I'm willing to give it a good go so I just hope she can give me some good ideas or point me in the right direction of getting help.
    I'll be honest guys it's getting me down :(
    Like I see slimming world or juice plus and stuff all over my Facebook. And people will say "why don't you join with me"

But I can't!! It's not that simple :(

Sorry guys
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
    Its great to read you are willing to give it ago!
    Sorry to read that its getting you down. When peolle say just join, they obviously dont know how it is affecting you. And how these issues makes us feels is so much under estimated.
    I may not be in your situation but i have been to " to just eat normally" or "stop eating so much" it feels physically not that easy and may understand how that feels for you.
    And yoy dont need to be sorry we are hear to listen and support.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley