Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Promethazine Medication - Nervous!

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone takes or has taken promethazine before. It is a multi use medication and I know it's used as an antihistamine, sleeping aid and to calm you down when agitated. I personally take it to calm me down when agitated (it has sedatory effects) - which frequently I experience due to having EUPD.

No matter why you take it, I am wondering how you felt on it- were you also drowsy and stuff?

Also is there anyone taking it for similar or same reasons as me (MH related)? I noticed it isn't on the headmeds website, probably because its actually marketed for more physical ailments, where I use it for my mental health (dual usages).

I am very nervous, as today my psychiatrist increased my dose from 25mg as and when required to 50mg daily (no matter what), plus an extra 25mg if I feel I need it (as and when required, should wait at least 4 hours after my 50mg dose though). So not only has it been increased considerably, I have now to take it as a regular medication, instead of on a as and when needed basis. And I feel kinda weird knowing I'm technically allowed to take up to 75mg per day maximum, seems a lot.

I am particularly nervous as it is a very drowsy med, even 25mg can make me feel zombie like at times, although I am starting to feel less drowsy on it as I am getting used to it. Also as at times when it has particularly knocked me out, my parents joked that I look as though I am on drugs, as I am very tierd at those times (and they don't even know I take it). My parents know I'm not the type of person to take illegal drugs and stuff as I don't even drink alcohol. But I worry they will think I am on drugs, or find out I am taking this medication based on how I seem.

Starting tomorrow, I will be taking 50mg and feel very nervous about this...

(PS. still taking my citalopram at 40mg, highest dose. I kinda feel slightly the psychiatrist is "drugging me up", as I have been phoning the MH team very agitated and stuff a lot!)

Comments

• Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Nope not been on that one
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi apandav,
    I've never taken it either.
    Sometimes it can be useful to take a higher dose of medication to help you cope a bit better and build some more effective coping mechanisms so when you drop the dose you can put some of these techniques in to practise.
    Do you think that may be a different way of seeing it, rather than being "drugged up"?
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Amanda,

I was on them for 2 months, before taking myself off them, (It was more just to calm me down when things were getting a bit all over the place) - But I hated some of the side effects of it, being at University, taking a medication that pretty much is used as a sedative really puts you out of it, I stopped going to Uni, due to the fact I was too physically exhausted and never up for it, all I did was sleep and eat, haha, I know that sounds awful, but on the medication, going out became a chore, and I hated how my mouth would always feel tacky and dry, like when I'd taken up, etc.

But yeah, its normal for the medication to make you feel drowsy, like this should of all been explained to you before you started taking it really, if you are worried aboutt he medication you are taking, I highly reccomend talking to the person who prescribed you it and getting more information on it, etc.

Look after yourself, and keep us updated,
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Thank you all for your replies!

Kate- yes that's a good point!

WhispersOfTheHeart- yeah I can totally see where your coming from, they are very drowsy drugs- but at the same time I am getting so uptight at the moment, I'm thinking it wouldn't affect my uni work much more than my normal agitation would. Hoping I will adjust to it a bit. Yeah psychiatrist told me beforehand!