Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

'worried about my 11yr old cousin using Tinder'

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Hi guys wasn't sure where to put this,
​So last week my little cousin approached me and asked me what tinder was.
​I'm sure you can I'm imagine my shock at an 11 year old even knowing about this app never mind asking about it.

​cut a long story short her friends at her school have been talking about it and my cousin listed off to me at least 10 children at her school who were actually using the app. My cousins phone is closely monitored by her mother so I am not so worried about that, however she did say that these children's parents do not know about this as their phones/tablets ect are not checked.

​While I have no experience of tinder I do know it is a 18+ dating website and does have a reputation of being a casual sex app. there have been numerous reports of sexual assault from using dating apps like tinder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3901558/Fifty-sex-offences-victims-met-alleged-attackers-dating-apps-Tinder-Grindr-reported-Met-police-year.html

​point made these children and possibly more are at risk of being exploited, abused, assaulted ect. I feel something needs to be done in order for parents and guardians to ensure there children are not on these types of apps. The only way I can think of doing this is writing a letter or sending an email to the school and explaining this. However I do not want them to be able to connect me to my cousin as I do not want them to be questioning her as to what she has heard ect.

​I do not feel like I should or could ignore this as I work in childcare and this does come under duty of care and safeguarding. But also because I really fear the danger these children are in. I know its parents responsibility to ensure their children are safe but obviously these children's parents do not know about this

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi Steve, I don't actually know my cousins friends or their family so I couldn't give the school their names or contact the parents.

I would hope that if I reported this to the school they should inform parents to check on theor children. Normally they would have to do this by law as it comes under "duty of care." Which I know about as I work in a nursery. However to many schools find it to much trouble and do nothing about it :/

Apart from that I suppose the most I can do is try. Would it be possible for me to actually do this anominous? That way they wouldn't know who my cousin is?