Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Richer if you don't work?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People are richer if they don't work. Many claim money yet are eligible and are able/can work. This does my head in!!

I work 50 hours a week and have a MUCH lower income than those who don't as my hard earned money goes towards people like this...I am struggling financially and it's affecting others areas of my life also!

Hannah

Comments

• Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Hannah,

Just to let you know that I've moved this thread to politics & debate, because I think it might spark off a bit of a debate and this is a better place for it :)
    But I can also see that you've said you're struggling financially, which sounds really hard. If you'd like to talk a bit more about that, feel free to start another thread in Home, Law and Money, which would be a great place to share a bit more about your current situation and maybe ask for some advice around managing money.

You've raised an interesting topic here, one that seems to be talked about quite a lot at the moment. I wonder if it might help people get some idea of where you're coming from if you could explain a bit more about where/how you found out about this?

James
  • Options
    Hi James

That's okay, thank you. I realise and resect that this can become a debate, if people reply.

I am struggling financially, in a way. I feel that this is because I work 50 hours a week (Mon-Fri in a school) and pay an awful lot in taxes, so much so that it doesn't seem worth it to work, if this makes sense? I am not that kind of a person though and will not work because of that, as I know that many do. I work because it's rewarding and worthwhile, though it makes it harder to be stable in terms of income due to the fact that a lot of it is taken off/out for taxes.

I am the oldest sibling of 6, soon to be 7, and often out it upon myself to buy things for them such as clothes and food and take them out to places. My dad works hard too but is the same as me-Works very hard but has little money coming in, for reasons.

I know this because of reviews which have been done as well as articles you read about in the papers. I've also heard from people that they'd rather not work as working gives you less money than scrounging off of the government and this does my head in.

I respect that some are physically unable to work due to physical disability but what about all of the others?

Hannah x
  • Options
    This big issue seriously makes me feel such anger and concern and frustration! :(
  • Options
    I understand what you mean, loads of people are frustrated by those who just keep taking despite the fact they could be working, but I think it's irritating that this is what a lot of people think of when they hear the word "benefits". I know so many people who are doing the best they can, but need extra support from the welfare state-my mum had to claim benefits when she had to leave work to care for my terminally ill dad. I get your point, and it irritates the hell out of me too :) It just angers me off when you see these "Benefit Britain" type programmes, which are really just focusing on a very small minority x
  • Options
    Thank You for your views.

Those kinds of programmes are not small minority Hun.

• Options
    They are a small minority :). They are created by the right-wing press in order to inspire a hatred against anybody who claims benefits-most of whom are good, honest and hardworking people who have happened to have found themselves in a difficult situation. Like those who have a physical or mental illness, or caring for somebody else who does. The vast, vast majority of people on benefits are not just sitting on the sofa all day endlessly reproducing-this image is only created in order to manipulate and control the masses. Interesting conversation though :)
  • Options
    if people are hardworking though, then they would not be on benefits (excluding those who have worked hard but have been dealt with terminal illness).

I see people all day every day who are just like those on the programmes!

Hannah
  • Options
    Perhaps they were abused as a child and lost all motivation in life? Perhaps they're chronically depressed? Regardless of how they ended up there, these are the vulnerable in society and we must protect them. They may work hard and still not have enough to support themselves-just like you. You said you do 50 hours a week and still struggle-are you not hardworking then? Of course you are, but it's still not enough.

But as a counter argument, I bet you see triple as many who aren't like that-you just don't notice them because they are "normal" people who you see and work with every single day.
  • Options
    Not all of them are vulnerable though and quite a few are actually using the government, scrounging, as they say. Not all no, but quite a few!

• Options
    So being abused as a child and becoming chronically depressed doesn't make you vulnerable? There are some, yes-but a minority. But as I said, you work hard but are struggling. So according to your own views, it's a little hypocritical-surely you understand? You're in the same boat?
  • Options
    No, I didn't say those things doesn't make you vulnerable. I am also one of those vulnerable people but I force myself to get up every day and go to work-Rather than take from the government and those who pay taxes.
  • Options
    But just because you can (which is great!) other people may not be able to. For example, I have had experience with self harm, but just because I have overcome it, I understand that some people might not be able to. And I won't disapprove of them for that. We are all equipped with different neural pathways which cause us to act in an individual way.

But whilst you work hard, you still don't earn enough to support yourself. But you still work hard. You are in exactly the same situation as people on benefits, hence why it's particularly important to empathise.

Instead of worrying about the vulnerable "scrounging" in society, shouldn't we be worrying more about large companies who are tax avoiding? After all, they are stealing far more from society than any amount of people on benefits.
  • Options
    I work hard, despite having a LOT going on and mental illness etc yet my income is much LOWER than what many get through a benefit of some kind :(
  • Options
    Can you not claim benefits as a helping hand?

I'm not saying that's a good thing! I'm just saying that it is not the fault of those claiming benefits-it's the fault of the government, or the people paying you ect.
  • Options
    I have looked into it and do not think that I am entitled however am not 100% sure. But I pay a lot of tax so it is theirs in a way, dependent upon who the claimant is, and why.
  • Options
    If they were available, would you consider it? No, it's not these vulnerable people's fault-it's the fault of those who are paying you poorly.
  • Options
    But it's also those as my tax goes to them as well so?

Thank you xx
  • Options
    But they have no say in where that money goes-do you see? They don't make the decisions and have no political influence xx
  • Options
    But those on benefits often spend it in the wrong ways--latest shoes and clothing, holidays abroad, drink and drugs etc.x
  • Options
    Says who? :) x
  • Options
    It is evident!!x
  • Options
    Where's the evidence? :)x
  • Options
    Attachment not found.
    I saw this on Facebook a few weeks ago, found it quite interesting :)
  • Options
    Bea wrote: »
    Where's the evidence? :)x

Anyone can see it! It can be observed like all day, every day.

hannah
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing that on here, with us.x
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    But those on benefits often spend it in the wrong ways--latest shoes and clothing, holidays abroad, drink and drugs etc.x

So people who are on benefits don't deserve to be part of society and should only spend it on the bare necessities of food, thereby further isolating them from society and decreasing the likelihood of them being able to successfully re-integrate? Should they get food tokens instead of money?

People claim benefits for many reasons, some of which have been covered here.

As Bea has said, there is a lot of right-wing propaganda around stigmatising the small minority of misuse of the system. Programmes such as Benefits Street do not show the reality for a lot of people - some are claiming whilst also working (within the rules), some are too ill to work right now. The benefit of a society such as ours is that we look after those who need it - no-one is left to fall outside of society. You might be paying tax now (not just into the National Insurance system, but for other things too such as healthcare and education) but the system will be there for you when you need it. If you are a low earner, you may be entitled to some benefits too.
  • Options
    Exactly. Regardless of how people became vulnerable, as a first world country, we have a duty to protect them :)
  • Options
    Yes, they should be claimed for housing and food, with some for luxuries. I work, in receipt of no benefits, am mentally ill and struggling with so much in life---I wear cheap clothes, have cheap shoes, don't go on holiday, don't own any games consoles etc when many, many who're are on a benefit of some kind do and this is totally wrong.

• Options
    But what about those like me??........
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Have you checked whether you could get any in work benefits, or any housing benefits to help you move out?