Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Terrifying Experience at Work

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
Hi. On Friday when i was at work a member of staff fainted in front of me and i didn't know what to do because i was the only one that experience it and at the time i blamed it on me because she told me before we started work that she felt ill and dizzy and that she was overtired and overworked and i felt after it happened i should have told someone what she was feeling like but it wasn't down to me. The person ended up knocking her head when she fainted and then she was out of it for a few minutes and she ended off going off in an ambulance. She messaged me in the evening on Friday to say that she had sprained her neck. After it happened i was so shaken up and my supervisor was really understanding and its still on my mind.
Is it bad that every time i pass the place where it happened at work i get flashbacks of what happened on Friday? I felt dizzy yesterday at work and the manager was concerned that what happened to the other girl would happen to me.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi @Laura12345,

Sorry to hear about what happened at work.

You can't blame what happened on yourself. I hope your colleague is okay.

You're bound to feel something after experiencing what happened and this is your own mind's way of dealing with yours. Perhaps your mind is overpowered by the thought that you had blamed it on yourself.

If you carry on feeling dizzy I would definitely tell your manager or the nearest person to authority who is in on that day. Ask if you could outside for a couple minutes of fresh air, drink plenty and make sure your eating to keep your energy levels up.

I hope it all improves.

Feel free to comment again if you still need to talk.
  • Options
    Hi thanks for getting back to me. yeah work on Friday was terrifying. I know I can't blame it on myself but at the time that's all I could do. She said she is feeling a lot better which I'm pleased about. Yeah it has really shaken me up but I'm glad that my supervisors and managers have been understanding of how I've been feeling later since it happened! I will tell someone at work if I still start feeling faint at work! I did feel faint yesterday but I sat down and folded the denim so I didn't faint! Thanks X can I explain what my supervisors and managers have been saying to me since it happened?!
  • Options
    StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi @Laura12345 just wanted to check in with how you're doing at the moment? Of course you can let us know anything you feel comfortable to share here and we, the community will do our best to offer our help and support to you, what was is that your supervisors and managers have been saying?
  • Options
    Hi. I'm not too bad thanks but getting fed up with people asking me if I'm ok because I want to forget about what happened on Friday and it's not easy when people keep asking me if I'm okay. After it happened on Friday I was so shaken up as I was the only one who experienced it and I called Laura over and then got Simone and then security rung the ambulance! After she had gone Laura took me out the back as she said I looked shaken up and I was like yea I am and I explained how i blamed it on myself and she shouldn't as u didn't know that would happen and she was like I know ur likely to be worried for the rest of the shift so we won't expect much from u and if u Need timeout just ask! Jess was really understanding when I spoke to her on Saturday about why the girl wasn't in and I was like I'm still shaken up and she said I was brave to be in with it only happening yday and I said I don't want to go near the section where it happens because I get flashback and she like that's fair enough we will keep u on tills as much as possible and away from formal! On Sunday Melissa had a private chat wt me Melissa asked me if I was ok after Friday and I was like I'm still slightly shaken from it and still blaming it on me and she was like ur so brave to be in so soon and she said that she expected me to be off this weeekend!! She also asked if I knew why the girl fainted and when I felt faint yday she was concerned I over worked myself!

Melissa and Simone are managers! Jess and Laura are supervisors!
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hey Laura, just checking in on how you're doing. It sounds like they're keen to ensure you're ok so that's great. Do keep talking to both us and them if you need :)
  • Options
    Hey x thanks for getting back to me x I'm not great right now too be honest! The whole situation happened this time last week so it's hard to be good right now as I just can't stop thinking about it and I'm so shaken up!!just not good at the moment, got lots on my mind! I will keep talking to people at work and you guys if I need to! I'm at work at the moment and i just not in a good place!
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Sorry to hear that Laura, I don't have much else to add but please do just talk if you need to, and of course keep telling your managers if it's causing you difficulties.
  • Options
    Yeah wasn't good. It's been a hard day and I did give a manager and a supervisor attitude at work today. Today was just a bad day because had lots on my mind! Me and the girl who fainted don't want to talk about it any more.
  • Options
    Hi @Laura12345 just wanted to check in with how you're doing at the moment, remember you're welcome to come on here to talk about anything you'd like at any time and someone in the community will get back to and try and support you as best we can :)
  • Options
    Hi thanks for posting again! I'm not good right now as been feeling really ill recently but still going to work which I probably shouldn't be! It's got to a stage when I'm actually worried that what happened to my friend will happen to me! Thanks I will come back on here if there is anything else I need to talk about
  • Options
    Hi @Laura12345 sorry to hear that you've been feeling really ill, hope you feel better soon. We're here if you'd like to talk more at any time :)
  • Options
    Hi x thanks for saying this x I'm still not well but slowly getting better.! Thanks. Don't know why it keeps happening to me but another member of staff nearly fainted infront of me today, she went a funny colour and she said she felt really dizzy. I was again shaken up and had to go to staff area as I thought I was gonna faint as I started feeling dizzy! There was 2 of us that witnessed it today and we both went out the back together! We both cried because it shock boy of us up!! The supervisor that saw me shook up last time it happened which was nearly 2weeks ago took me out the back for private chat alone as she never seen me in tears before!!