Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Death

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
My friend passed away on 6 September 2016 from a car accident! Is it bad not to want to go to the funeral?

Comments

• StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi Laura, welcome to The Mix boards.

Sounds like a really tough time for you to be going through, you're doing really well to talk about it and look for some support for yourself here. What makes you ask if it's bad not to want to go to the funeral? You're being really brave to talk about how you're feeling here. This might be something to have a read of, its a age which talk about grief and bereavement. We're here for you if you want to talk more about anything *hug*

(I've also moved your thread from the live chat announcement section to the health and wellbeing section of the boards as you might get more responses here)
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Yeah I'm going through a rough time at the moment. Yeah I need the support right now as it has been difficult and at times it has got to me at work and I had a really bad comment on Saturday at work that really upset me!!! It's just it's the funeral on Friday and don't know if I can bring myself to go! Yeah if I can talk about it then I would appreciate it! Xx
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi Laura, you're doing really well to talk here about what you're going through at the moment. The community here are here to try and support you, sounds like things have been really difficult for you, sorry to hear that it's got to you at work and you had a comment that upset you, that doesn't sound very nice to have to go through.

Have you been able to talk to anyone else about how you're feeling at the moment? Feel free to share more about how you're getting on if you feel comfortable to. :)

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah it got bad at work because there was a really bad comment! It was a jokey comment was made about people dying! The person who said it didn't know what I went through! The supervisor saw the comment really upset me. I've shared with a few of my friends what I'm feeling and they are helping me lots! I'm not coping very well too be honest. Got the funeral on Friday which I'm dreading!! Don't know if I should tell someone from work at the weekend about having the funeral on Friday because likely to still be emotional!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Laura,

Really sorry to hear about your loss. How are you doing today?

It isn't easy getting through a funeral, and at this time of grieving things can feel really emotional and overwhelming. Support from those around us is so important at a time like this, so it's great that you've been able to tell your friends and that they have been so supportive. I wonder if you would feel able to speak to somebody at work about what has happened? Maybe a manager or somebody in HR who you could speak to about compassionate leave if you need to?

Remember there is no right or wrong or easy way to grieve, and it's okay to take some time out to deal with your emotions. There is an organisation called Hope Again who provide support to young people in bereavement. Often the support of family and friends, together with thinking about the positive memories and talking about your feelings, can really help. You're doing great so far and well done for reaching out on here :yes:

Keep posting if you feel it helps *hug*
    Hi x thanks for the reply. Haven't been feeling good since the funeral on Friday too be honest! Yeah my friends are being supportive in the time of need! I did tell a supervisor at work about what happened but no one else! Don't want to have compassionate leave as don't want others to know at work what's happened! Thanks for the quotes they are really helpful