Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tobacco Troubles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey! I understand that cigarettes are addictive. Smokers' smoking shouldn't bother me as long as I don't have to breathe the smoke or clean up the butts...BUT I am really upset about a family member's smoking habits/ettitquette so am looking for some support and coping methods. Backstory: Trisha (fake name) has been a habitual smoker since she was 11. She chainsmoked during both of her pregnancies. The 1st pregnancy went well without complications. The second was complicated and she was told her baby wasn't going to make it, but baby hung in there and was born in the O.R. at just 25 weeks of gestation. I am caring for the older child while premie baby is under hospital care and Trisha has to be available in case of emergency. I try not to let Trisha'so smoking habits bother me but I cannot cope while thinking of how her tobacco use puts children's health in jeopardy. They are not my kids but it is hard to watch. I cannot enjoy her company at all when I am so angry and full of blame. I feel is not fair for me to confront her about her choices (it's her kids, her life). But I don't want to continue being a miserable b**ch and could use some perspective, and any coping tips anyone has to share. Cheers -Protective Auntie, former tobacco smoker