Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Daily Relationships Challenge

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
tips-tile_0.jpg

The Mental Health Foundation have recently launched their Daily Relationships Challenge - for the one-off price of a standard network rate text, they'll send you a relationship tip every single day.

I thought maybe some of us could could sign up and then discuss the tips they send out, and also how we find doing it? You just need to text TIPS to 70300.

I signed up today and got the first tip:

#1: Put time aside to nurture important relationships and friendships. Today, call a friend you haven't spoken to in more than a month.

I found this one quite interesting because I tend to find time to interact with those close to me fairly regularly. That and, to be honest, I don't have the energy to maintain relationships with people that I speak to that infrequently. Plus, I tend to forget to respond to messages... :rolleyes:

That said, I do have a couple of friends whom I don't speak to too regularly and have (in the past) gone a few months without speaking to, only to pick up where we left off and not have it affect anything. I think those types of relationships with people are quite strong.

What do you guys think? :chin:

tips-tile2.jpg
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it can be really important to keep some relationships going if that is what they require. I know with some friends we can go for ages not speaking because there isn't the obligation to keep chatting all the time - and they'd probably find it weird if I called out of the blue, ha!

I think it depends on the people involved and how you set out the relationship - if it's based on high amounts of communication that needs to be maintained!
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Interesting points there plugitin. Reckon you're right that every relationship works a little differently and so the 'normal' level of communication will vary from person to person.

Mike's not around today, so thought I'd post the second tip:

#2 Actively listen to what others are saying in a non-judgemental way. Reach out to a friend or relative who you know has something on their mind and make it clear you're willing to listen.

Actually listening to what someone is saying can be pretty tricky (ever found yourself thinking more about what you're going to say next instead?). So this feels like an interesting challenge!

If you don't feel up to reaching out to a friend or relative, you could always come along to support chat tonight and really try to hear someone out!