Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Worried about Exam

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm really struggling in one particular class at uni- and I'm sick of people telling me I'll be "fine" or "you always do this". Yes, I have thought I was going to fail many exams in the past and did really well, its different this time though.......

There's one particular exam in mind bothering me, its a week on Wednesday now- I've literallly been studying this subject so much and feel like I barley know anything, most of the time I feel this way, but I'm really struggling with past papers. Normally I'm quite good at multiple choice if anything when I've studied- not this time, and plus theres written questions too.

I really don't want to fail, I only need 40% to pass but at this rate I'm not even optimistic for that. I'm just really frustrated as I'm really trying but I feel like its been a waste. Additionally theres so much content to learn for this class. Yes worse case scenario I have a resit, but I'm just at the point where I could really cry right now, especially more as the exams approaching.

I'm going to try my best, but I'm getting so stressed. I literally just did a past paper there (I'm studying in uni right now) and its really not going well, hence I came on here....... I just need some advice, and would rather not from friends or family as they just dismiss me all the time :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    trying hard not to burst into tears, I tell myself crying wont help and it's better use of time studying, I just have no motivation now as I feel like I'm getting no where :(
  • RavenclawRavenclaw Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Hey Amanda,

That sounds really difficult; being stressed/worried about exams is hard enough without feeling like others are trivialising the situation and don't believe what you say. If it helps at all, I often feel exactly the same way and get exactly the same "you'll be fine" when I talk about these things, so I completely understand where you're coming from. *hug*

You mentioned studying a lot but feeling like it's a waste - that sounds really frustrating. Do try to remember to give yourself regular short breaks, even if you feel you don't need one or haven't done enough, because feeling overwhelmed and having no motivation can often be made worse by trying to do too much for too long. Do you know what ways of studying suit you best - for example, visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, etc? If not it might be worth finding out (there are various tools online to help you do so) or even if you do know, maybe just switching up your studying style might help see the information in a new way :)

A few ideas for studying in new ways: reading out your notes and recording yourself, then listening to them back while you go for a walk (exercise and studying at the same time!); writing your notes on post-its and sticking them all over your room; creating a powerpoint presentation of the ideas for yourself; going through the specification for your exam (if there is one available to you) and creating questions for yourself to answer; finding a classmate and quizzing each other... there are other ideas, too, but it depends on what works for you.

As for working on your past papers, if you're stuck, is there anyone who might be able to help you out or give you advice on how to approach those written questions - a lecturer, tutor or fellow classmate, for example?

Finally, remember that as you said "worse case scenario I have a resit" - if you don't manage that 40%, that's okay, there are alternative paths and you won't be the only one. You're already doing so well where you are! Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, and above all, try not to be too critical of yourself as you might find you know more than you think, and self-belief can go a long way to helping recall facts in the exam.

If it's all getting a bit much, don't feel bad for taking a break and looking after yourself (deep breaths, plenty of sleep, plenty of water), because ultimately your well-being is the most important thing :):heart:
    Thanks Ravenclaw, I'll try another study method, today all I feel I can do is read. Yet still have no motivation to get out of bed :( I will have to force myself.

With regards to past papers, after talking to my mentor at uni I've decided I'm not going to worry about doing them and just try to learn content. Classmates are in a similar situation, and we don't get answers cause it's uni now, but when it was the chemistry departments test they'd give answers, so obviously it's my department being stingy. I've emailed a lecturer before and her answer didn't really help. So I give up on past papers.

Thanks.

I know this isn't related to this thread, but I just need to vent...... I don't want to make another thread as I feel guilty about using multiple threads at once.....

Today I just want to cry, aside from exams I do t understand me or my emotions and thoughts, something isn't right, and I have a review with my psychologist tomorrow and I feel bad for bringing up another issue, but I have too, ugh sorry :(
    I don't even have the motivation to get up and get ready.......never mind study :(
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    Hey apandav,

Just on the note about multiple threads - you're more than welcome to create & use more than one if they're about different things. Please don't feel guilty; you're just using the boards for what they're designed for, right? :)

Studying/revising can feel like a burden and a huge drag even without having to deal with low points in your mental health, so my hat goes off to you for continuing to try, regardless of the result. :yes: I mean, as you say, when you can't find it in you to get out of bed and get through basic daily stuff, it can be a huge feat to get yourself to prepare for exams and all that malarkey. Wise words from Ravenclaw, by the way!

How are you finding things at the moment?

*hug*
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Thanks Mike.

My uni mentor text me this morning to see how I was, and I told her- she was free so said if it motivates you you can come into uni to see me. So I got changed, attempted to study, but my mind kept jumping. Had a cry, phoned Samaritans. Saw my mentor,

After chatting with her, she said you've done so much work even if it doesn't feel like it's going in and there's no point in studying if it's making me more stressed, she advised I just don't bother too much about studying for this exam until after my other exam on Friday. She said you wouldn't be letting yourself down as I know how hard you've been working. Since I'm still very low, I've gave up on the studying at least for today, maybe tomorrow too but depends how things go. Right now I'm very low, and tierd. I'm just giving in and now going to lie down for a bit, I know i should be proactive and do something but I'm just so tierd, my bed just seems like the best place right now