Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to create an avatar

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited October 2018 in Help Desk
What is an avatar?

Avatars are images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed next to your username on all posts that you make.

Choosing an Avatar

Before you add your Avatar to your profile, you need to choose or create a suitable image. The image can by any size, but if it's bigger than 560 pixels wide and 560 pixels tall, it will be automatically resized to those dimensions. Once you have chosen an image you're ready to go.

How to add/edit your avatar

1. Click or tap on your username at the top of the page to visit your profile.

2. On your profile, you'll see a blue, 'Change Picture' button just above your avatar (which is the picture on the right). Click that and you'll see a new window with some options:

You can choose which part of the picture you want to be the thumbnail by clicking and dragging. At the bottom of that window, you can also upload a new picture or delete it altogether.

3. Once you've chosen a section of your picture or uploaded a new image, it will appear on your profile!

Can I use an animated GIF?

Yes, but it can be tricky to get them to work. If you try and resize a GIF with Vanilla, it will remove the animation.

You'll need to either save the image or copy the URL, then visit a special GIF editing website such as GifsGifs. Once you've cropped and/or resized it, save it and you should be able to use that version as your avatar.

If the file size of your GIF is too big it still won't work, so make sure it's not something too complicated and flashy. Basic ones should work totally fine.

Questions/suggestions/corrections? Get in touch!
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    I know this is an old thread, but is it okay to use a picture of a well known character or should your profile picture be one of your own photos, as it says on change profile picture "you certify that you have the right to distribute this picture"? :confused: Just wondering really.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,304 Part of The Furniture
    This is a fair question @NeonBlueThunder1. :)

I don't really know the answer, to be honest! Realistically I don't think anyone is going to have an issue with you using a picture of a well known character, or any image that someone else owns (almost everyone here does that). It's more of a legal technicality really.

The key thing is that, if you did use a copywrited image and someone did have an issue with it (which would be incredibly unlikely), we'd need to cooperate and remove it.

Super unlikely, though. Feel free to use whatever image you like. :+1:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    Mike wrote: »
    This is a fair question @NeonBlueThunder1. :)

I don't really know the answer, to be honest! Realistically I don't think anyone is going to have an issue with you using a picture of a well known character, or any image that someone else owns (almost everyone here does that). It's more of a legal technicality really.

The key thing is that, if you did use a copywrited image and someone did have an issue with it (which would be incredibly unlikely), we'd need to cooperate and remove it.

Super unlikely, though. Feel free to use whatever image you like. :+1:

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Cheers Mike. :smile: