Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Muting' in Group Chat

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited May 2020 in Community Announcements
In group chat, anyone can choose to 'mute' someone.

Here's some info on the mute function and how to use it:

How can I mute someone?
Click on a person's name in the list on the right. A menu will appear. Click 'Mute' and you're done.

What happens when I mute someone?
When you mute someone in chat, you will no longer be able to see what they are saying. You will still be able to see that they are in chat, but it will be as though they aren't saying anything.

Muting lasts for the duration of the chat you are in, unless you choose to unmute the chat member again. No one in chat (including moderators) will be able to see who you have muted.

Comments made by other chat members in response to the person you have muted will still show up in your chat. Moderators will encourage chat members not to comment on disagreements which involve someone being muted.

What happens when another chat member mutes me?
If another chat member mutes you, your chat will not be disrupted. You will still be able to see everyone's messages, including the person who has muted you.

You will not be alerted to the fact that you have been muted by another chat member in any way.

Why do we have a mute function?
Chat is a very diverse place with lots of people needing to access support at any one time. It is inevitable that occasionally tensions will rise and disagreements between members will happen.

In the guidelines which chat members are requested to follow when accessing chat, we put emphasis on making sure that chat can be a positive experience for everyone involved.

We encourage chat members to use the mute function as a way of making sure chat can continue without disruption.

Why do moderators encourage people to use the mute function?
From time to time in chat, you may see moderators (or sometimes other chat members) advising members to use the mute function when they can see a disagreement may be getting out of hand. This is because moderators need to focus on the greater good of the chat.

If a disagreement escalates, then it becomes difficult for other chat members to avoid being affected by it. If members can get around this problem by muting each other, then chat can continue smoothly for everyone.

Isn't it rude to mute someone?
It's never easy to make the decision to mute someone in chat. We may worry that we're being unkind or feel that we don't have the right to mute someone's comments. However, muting another chat member can be a good way of looking after yourself without sending a direct message to the other person.

I've been muted and I don't think I did anything wrong! Isn't this unfair?
It can feel hurtful when we suspect someone else has muted us, especially if we don't feel we've done anything wrong.

It's important to remember that while we have control over the things we say and do, we don't have control over the way other people respond to us.

If someone has chosen to mute you, it's OK to feel frustrated, but it's not your job to figure out why they've done it. Let them deal with things in their own time and focus on more positive conversations with other users.

Can I mute a moderator?
Nope! Moderators need to be able to talk to everyone in chat at all times. If you need to speak to someone about something which has happened in a chat session, you can private message The Mix account on the discussion boards and someone will get back to.

Tips for using the mute function
  • Don't broadcast the fact that you've used the mute function. Remember, the muted person can still see what you say in chat and may react badly, causing chat to become disrupted for others.
  • Likewise, if you suspect that someone has muted you in chat, try not to comment on it. Everyone in chat has the right to use the mute function as they see fit. We encourage members to do this so that chat can keep running smoothly.
  • Don't feel bad about muting. Muting can provide you with much-needed breathing space.
  • If you know that one chat member has chosen to mute another, don't engage with any further comments about it. Repeating comments made by someone who has been muted will still show up for everyone else and cause more difficulties.
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2020
    Just made a few edits to this to bring it up to date and give it a pin. :)

The key things to note are the top tips at the end:
    • Don't broadcast the fact that you've used the mute function. Remember, the muted person can still see what you say in chat and may react badly, causing chat to become disrupted for others.
    • Likewise, if you suspect that someone has muted you in chat, try not to comment on it. Everyone in chat has the right to use the mute function as they see fit. We encourage members to do this so that chat can keep running smoothly.
    • Don't feel bad about muting. Muting can provide you with much-needed breathing space.
    • If you know that one chat member has chosen to mute another, don't engage with any further comments about it. Repeating comments made by someone who has been muted will still show up for everyone else and cause more difficulties.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for adding this!  And making it clear.  Think is good. Will take note for future as i know i have done this sometimes 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley