Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Experts on law. GBH. Sentences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys.

I was recently charged with GBH and am quite worried about the outcome. I was wondering If any experts could give me some advice as to what I may be expecting so I can prepare to set my affairs in order.

A few months back I lost my home to torrential flooding so was living off of a lot of donations and relief aid.
2 days afterwards, Me and my little brother had parked outside of a block of flats where I unsuspectingly parked in front of a parking bay with an empty small van in as I quickly rushed up to one of the flats where a couple had kindly donated us some clothes to wear.

When I arrived back to my car the small van had reversed up onto the curb and awkwardly around my parked veichle to get out and was more or less ready to drive away. I held my hands up and shouted a sorry to the driver, but as I opened my car door the driver of the van had appeared behind me.

He was a big is guy around my age and he was cursing rather loudly and shouting at me for my "shitty parking" as he put it, so I just gave him a blank look and told him that I didn't really care and didn't have time for stupid arguments.

As I turned away get in my car the guy grabbed hold of the hem of my jacket and my instincts kicked in letting fly a punch which caught him on the jaw casing him to go over like a ton of bricks hitting his head hard on the floor and laying spread out in the middle of the road.

I knew instantly he was hurt, I never meant to knock him unconscious I just wanted him off me but in my youth I did a lot of amateur boxing so the punch just happened naturally and I suppose my natural punch will be a lot harder than most normal people's.

Anyway I'm Trained in a little first aid so I checked all of his airways and moved him out of the cause way placing him in a recovery position as I rang him an ambulance and tried to bring him round.

As The ambulance came he was waking up so I left them too their job and went about my business trying to save the rest of my home. I realise I probably should have stayed but at the time my head was a mess and was more concerned about my own family's needs as as far as I was concerned I had leagally done nothing wrong, I was of course worried about the guy but had a lot on my plate at the same time.

About 2 weeks later the police came to my door. Turns out the poor bloke had been in hospital for a week with a bleed on the brain from hitting the floor but was now fine and ok at home. I was arrested for section 18 WWI, after telling them my story and being bailed I was later charged but it had dropped to section 20 GBH. The only witnesses are my little brother (16) and a couple from a nearby upstairs flat who viewed through the window.

Now I'm nearly 30, I've never once been In trouble with the law (apart from the odd speeding ticket, who hasn't had one of those) I'm a primary school teacher by profession but had done a lot of boxing as a youngster, a fact I wasn't shy about revealing as the police questioned me about my background (they obviously already knew)

This type of thing will probably ruin my career and on top of this I'm expecting a jail term in a worst case scenario. I am pleading not guilty of striking unlawfully but claiming self defence.

What do you suppose will happen ?

Regards.

Comments

• Options
    Hey @Morrison and welcome to TheSite :)

This place is aimed at 16-25s and is a space for young people to support one another so unfortunately we don't have any legal experts on hand here I'm afraid although you might find a few members of the community that have some experience in this or may be able to offer some suggestions :yes:

Have you been able to get yourself a lawyer?

You can find out more about legal aid and if you might be eligible here: http://www.thesite.org/crime-and-safety/in-trouble/getting-legal-aid-11640.html

Let us know how you're getting on.
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hey [USER="96102"]Morrison[/USER] and welcome to TheSite :)

This place is aimed at 16-25s and is a space for young people to support one another so unfortunately we don't have any legal experts on hand here I'm afraid although you might find a few members of the community that have some experience in this or may be able to offer some suggestions :yes:

Have you been able to get yourself a lawyer?

You can find out more about legal aid and if you might be eligible here: http://www.thesite.org/crime-and-safety/in-trouble/getting-legal-aid-11640.html

Let us know how you're getting on.

Hi jo.

I gave a round about age ha I'm actually 27 but no worries I understand! I have a lawyer yes and am currently applying for legal aid I was just hoping there may have been some one with a similar case in here.

Regards
  • Options
    Hehe, no worries at all @Morrison and you're really welcome to stick around :)

Good to hear you have a lawyer, if there's someone here who's had a similar experience hopefully they can share :yes:
  • Options
    By what ive read on here Morrison it sounds to me like you acted in self defence is the guy grabbed you first ? Your solicitor is the best person who would be able to tell you what you could possibly be looking at.Good luck and let us know how you get on