Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Will you be stronger or weaker after your troubles?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone.

When your mental health has been broken down through depression or due to certain circumstances in life, do you think you'll be an emotionally stronger person at the end of it or even more fragile than you already was? I guess what I'm getting at is the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" statement, which of course is not true but nevertheless, after experiencing the worst of the worst, being at the bottom of the pit, do you think if you ever get your mental health back on track, you'll be mentally stronger than you were before?

I'm guessing it's down to the individual as everyone is different but do you think it's possible to be emotionally stronger due to having been at your lowest? It's sort of like physical punishment right? You get beaten to the floor and simply can't take another hit, but once you recover, you've been to that position before so you're a bit more prepared for it.

This is probably a bit of a pointless post but I just wanted an incite into what you think. So in a nutshell, do you think in the future you'd be stronger or even more delicate than you are now?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member :) Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Honestly, logically I think I will be stronger but right now I feel I will be weaker, and everything will be a disaster- but that's my thoughts and feelings talking!

Interested to hear what others opinions though :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I have no experience with depression or anything like that. But I'd like to think after a hard experience you'd become stronger, though sometimes it doesn't always work out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Noob Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I don't necessarily feel stronger, but I feel less scared about going into new episodes of depression because I've been there before - does that count?
    plugitin wrote: »
    I don't necessarily feel stronger, but I feel less scared about going into new episodes of depression because I've been there before - does that count?

sure I guess so :D
    I think any troubles you go through make you stronger. You learn something new about yourself and perhaps certain situations every time. The control is within yourself though - you can either grab onto that strength with your all or you can let yourself sink. It's extremely hard but surely anything is possible if people can get through such shitty times. I suppose what I'm saying is I feel ultimately the decision is yours to make, but you do denfinitely have a decision.