Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

LGBTQ+ Misconceptions

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
Hey all :wave:

I came across this article about the misconceptions of the LGBTQ+ community today and I thought I'd share it here.

It's fair to say that there are a lot of misconceptions flying around about different sexual orientations, gender identities etc. and how they work. One that springs to mind whenever this topic comes up is that those who identify as bisexual 'just haven't made their mind up yet'. :rolleyes:

bifurious.gif?w=450&h=267&crop=1

So, I was wondering what experiences you guys have of any misconceptions about LGBTQ+ people and how they have affected your life? Perhaps in terms of coming out, exploring your sexuality, or discussing the subject with other people? :chin:

Feel free to respond with any other views or experiences, it would be great to get a discussion going about this. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Totally getting the promiscuous and attracted to everyone female ones mentioned in that article. I've definitely had people asking so do you fancy her, or her, or her and pointing to people in the office or whilst walking down the street - well no, I have types like you have types.

Personal bugbears have to be people asking who is the man in my relationship (there isn't one!) and asking how we have sex (go away!)

It's really off-putting if you aren't particularly either confident or just not wanting to get into that type of conversation.

I also remember people asking me if kissing or having a boyfriend was "just experimentation" or actually meant something - why do I have to justify who I date but straight people don't?!
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Quite a mix of chin scratching and facepalming when reading this, Kate! :rolleyes:

Would you say these sorts of things have affected your life? Maybe in terms of coming out to certain people or exploring your sexuality?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plugitin wrote: »
    Totally getting the promiscuous and attracted to everyone female ones mentioned in that article. I've definitely had people asking so do you fancy her, or her, or her and pointing to people in the office or whilst walking down the street - well no, I have types like you have types.

When we were in secondary school, I remember friends of mine coming out as lesbians. I think I've mentioned before I was "oh, ok" about the whole thing. (it doesn't change what I thought of them as a person and in the nicest way possible, I didn't really care, it's a non-issue) Anyway, that came up or rather "don't worry, we don't fancy you".
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For years I just thought I was too immature to want to be with a guy, but I met some new people who helped open my mind about sexuality. And then when I thought about it, for a while I'd been attracted to girls but just thought that I liked them as a person. Which I did, I just realized it was something a bit more than that. I've been out as a lesbian for exactly a year now!:d
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Brny9900 wrote: »
    For years I just thought I was too immature to want to be with a guy, but I met some new people who helped open my mind about sexuality. And then when I thought about it, for a while I'd been attracted to girls but just thought that I liked them as a person. Which I did, I just realized it was something a bit more than that. I've been out as a lesbian for exactly a year now!:d

This is brill! Congrats being out for a whole year. :)

This kind of thing can definitely come with some self-discovery and exploration, like it sounds like it did with yourself. Did you experience any (what you would perceive as) misconceptions about your sexuality during your coming out process, or have you since then? :chin:

Welcome to the community, btw!