Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are the pros and cons of anti-depressants?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My local CMHT has recommended to me now three time to trial anti-depressants however I am curious/concerned as to what the pros and cons are, from others who've experienced it?

I am struggling still and have been for such a long time now. I have an assessment next Monday with regards to my recent mental health diagnosis(finally!!)and psychiatric assessment, I am planning on booking a GP appointment soon and trialling anti depressants but I'm not sure.

Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    Some of the side effects are absolutely awful. I've taken them for pain in the past. (as with other medication, they have other uses too) I had to stop takng them because the side ffects were absolutely awful.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that :( What did you find with them?
  • Options
    I could not stay awake on one of them. It says on the box to take them at night, which I did. And I was still falling asleep at 7pm. (that was even with taking them at 11 the previous night) The other one make me suicidal and really depressed. I think quite a few people have reported similar side effects with some ADs.
  • Options
    Ah okay, I see.Thanks for describing that though could that effect have happened for you due to taking other meds too?
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    My anti depressants made me feel sick all day for the first 3 weeks and even more low then i feel at the moment- they are not helping me but im going to head back to my GP and ask about other options, they are different for everyone - i would say give it a try.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    So are you gonna go back to the GP and see if they can provide alternative anti depressants for you?

I find it hard for that to happen for me in terms of feeling depressed by taking them as there are always reasons for my depression and depression is an illness too; not an emotion.

Thank you for sharing and sorry that's how this one was for you x
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    So are you gonna go back to the GP and see if they can provide alternative anti depressants for you?

I find it hard for that to happen for me in terms of feeling depressed by taking them as there are always reasons for my depression and depression is an illness too; not an emotion.

Thank you for sharing and sorry that's how this one was for you x

Yes im going to head back to my GP to discuss alternative medication that i can take.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    That's good--Good Luck with that.

Hopefully they'll say something which doesn't come with as many or the same side effects for you z
  • Options
    Ah okay, I see.Thanks for describing that though could that effect have happened for you due to taking other meds too?

No. I was only on inhalers at the time.
  • Options
    Asthma inhalers?Or something else?So; that could have had an effect then x
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Anti-depressants can help you get to a point where your mood is more stable and perhaps lifted - I'm not saying that you will necessarily feel "normal" although some people do, but in my experience they got me to a point where my mood wasn't always crashing around so I could actually focus on looking after myself and getting better. The drugs will also take a while to work - around 2 months, so it isn't a quick thing.
    You can experience some side effects with them, and sometimes a certain drug can make you feel worse. You might have to try several drugs before you find one that works for you.
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I agree with Kate, they do take a while to take effect, and that they can help stabilise your mood.

Personally my old side effect has been drowsiness for 1 week only (and thereafter for each of my med increases). Generally I feel tired a lot and I was so lethargic, but it only lasted one week and has been worth it for me. Obviously they can only take you so far, and ultimately therapy can help you manage your emotions and thoughts etc.

I recommend the website headmeds, I found it very easy to understand and told me the ins and outs of my medication. But it is probably easier to use if you have the name of a particular drug..... have they mentioned any anti-depressant in particular?

Please remember everyone's different e.g. I know a lot of people who have had bad experiences with citalopram but it works for me and I've been lucky to have no side effects, other than very temporary drowsiness/lethargy.
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Anti-depressants can help you get to a point where your mood is more stable and perhaps lifted - I'm not saying that you will necessarily feel "normal" although some people do, but in my experience they got me to a point where my mood wasn't always crashing around so I could actually focus on looking after myself and getting better. The drugs will also take a while to work - around 2 months, so it isn't a quick thing.
    You can experience some side effects with them, and sometimes a certain drug can make you feel worse. You might have to try several drugs before you find one that works for you.

Hello Kate,

Thank you for your reply.it was very informative and detailed and gave me a little more of an idea.

Can the side effects ever take over?
  • Options
    apandav wrote: »
    I agree with Kate, they do take a while to take effect, and that they can help stabilise your mood.

Personally my old side effect has been drowsiness for 1 week only (and thereafter for each of my med increases). Generally I feel tired a lot and I was so lethargic, but it only lasted one week and has been worth it for me. Obviously they can only take you so far, and ultimately therapy can help you manage your emotions and thoughts etc.

I recommend the website headmeds, I found it very easy to understand and told me the ins and outs of my medication. But it is probably easier to use if you have the name of a particular drug..... have they mentioned any anti-depressant in particular?

Please remember everyone's different e.g. I know a lot of people who have had bad experiences with citalopram but it works for me and I've been lucky to have no side effects, other than very temporary drowsiness/lethargy.

Hey again Amanda,

Thank you for your reply-They have not currently mentioned a particular anti-depressant as they've asked me to consider trialling medication and they have recommended it to me a few times now so yeah.

Gonna speak to them at my assessment on Monday :S xx
  • Options
    Good luck for your appointment *hug*

Keep us updated and remember its your decision, whether to go on the medication or not but they will have your best interests at heart!
  • Options
    I have booked an appointment.....Just gonna be hard as my parents don't know and I live under their roof!!

When in the day are they usually taken?x
  • Options
    I have booked an appointment.....Just gonna be hard as my parents don't know and I live under their roof!!

Yeah that's understandable, my parents didn't initially know about my medication, I locked it away in my jewellery box (they know now, but they found out, not by finding the meds anyways). If you can, it may be easier to tell them if you feel able to.

As far as I'm aware, you can take them anytime of the day but its better if you take at a consistent time- personally I take them in the morning!
  • Options

It depends on the medication, it can often vary. I used to have to take mine after I'd eaten breakfast, but my mum has to take hers in the evening. Ask your GP is there's any time they'd recommend to take them if they don't suggest a time
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion

Hello Kate,

Thank you for your reply.it was very informative and detailed and gave me a little more of an idea.

Can the side effects ever take over?

Hey Hannah,

They can but that's why it's important to be under the care of a doctor or psychiatrist so they can monitor this. Depending on the side effect you may notice and you can talk to a doctor about potentially changing medication if it is affecting you too much.
  • Options
    apandav wrote: »

Yeah that's understandable, my parents didn't initially know about my medication, I locked it away in my jewellery box (they know now, but they found out, not by finding the meds anyways). If you can, it may be easier to tell them if you feel able to.

As far as I'm aware, you can take them anytime of the day but its better if you take at a consistent time- personally I take them in the morning!

Hey,

How did you manage to keep the medication from your parents, up until recently when they found out?I don't know how I'm going to as I do know the gp will prescribe something though I'm not sure what.

I can't tell my parents and can't let them know.I just can't :(

Hannah
  • Options
    Hiccup wrote: »

It depends on the medication, it can often vary. I used to have to take mine after I'd eaten breakfast, but my mum has to take hers in the evening. Ask your GP is there's any time they'd recommend to take them if they don't suggest a time

Heya. Thanks for the reply and ah okay, I see what you mean there and guess Ill have to attempt to discuss this with my gp...
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »

Hey Hannah,

They can but that's why it's important to be under the care of a doctor or psychiatrist so they can monitor this. Depending on the side effect you may notice and you can talk to a doctor about potentially changing medication if it is affecting you too much.

Hey,okay,I understand that a bit better now, thank you.

I think I am more worried about my parents finding out and about the side effects becoming noticeable to them and others who're around me :( x
  • Options
    Have you voiced your concerns with your therapist? It's possible that you won't get any side effects. Not all side effects (talking in general) are that noticeable.
  • Options
    I haven't felt able to speak to anyone and I don't exactly have a therapist as such :s x
  • Options

Hey,

How did you manage to keep the medication from your parents, up until recently when they found out?I don't know how I'm going to as I do know the gp will prescribe something though I'm not sure what.

I can't tell my parents and can't let them know.I just can't :(

Hannah

I kept mine in my locked jewellery box and hid the key. Every morning just as I was getting ready I'd take them out, lock and hide the key again!

My parents never suspected and they only found out, after my friends mum went to my house (my friend was concerned about things I said) and then they went hunting in my room , then found the leaflet. But they found out from my friends mum and admitted that they never suspected a thing!
  • Options
    Ah okay, I see.

How do your parents feel about it now?
  • Options
    Booked my appt. to trial medication :S..........Thanks for your posts here all x