Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to get out of bed when you're depressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

I came across an article yesterday. It's all about different people's advice on how to get out of bed when you're depressed, when this seemingly simple task feels impossible, maybe you can relate to this kind of feeling...

Attachment not found.

You can read the full article here but here's a brief summary of the suggestions.

1. Be Depressed Upright (or prepare for the voices) - this idea encourages you to avoid thinking too much and giving time for the voices that persuade you to stay under the covers. Decide to 'just show up' or 'be depressed outside' - once you're in motion, it's easier to keep going.

2. Just make it to the shower - break things down in to tiny steps and look at them one at a time, the big picture can be overwhelming.

3. Bribe yourself - remember how much better you feel when you do manage to get up or give yourself a treat for getting up, something you enjoy :)

4. Get a reason or a purpose - find yourself a focus, something to get up for. Agreeing to do something for someone, volunteering, a part-time job, a responsibility that you feel drawn to hold on to.

Do any of these work for you?

Do you have any others?

Be interesting to hear your reactions and ideas :chin:

Comments

• Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I have had many periods of low mood throughout my mental health struggles, where I struggle to get out of bed and still do. I'm glad this thread was created, as this is one thing I find very embarrassing to admit to people so I want to take the step by firstly admitting this, so people who feel similar know that they are not alone.

Honestly, I usually end up constantly phoning helplines when I feel too depressed to get out of bed. Normally I get the same advice, as difficult as it can be.....forcing myself to get up, showered and dressed is the only way. Sometimes it slightly helps with my mood but other times I feel no better.

When I'm very low I normally feel that way (or partly) due to a lack of purpose, but having uni helps me to get up. Even if I can't concentrate I still go to lectures as it gets me out of the house and around people (additionally seeing my friends helps). Unfortunately out with uni I'm normally quite lonely, as my friends are usually busy- I struggle the most when I don't have uni- it forces me to create my own structure, which I find hard!!

Bribing myself may work, but normally it ends up with my indulging in my bad habit of comfort eating. I struggle to bribe myself for activities, as when I reach that stage I'm not in the mood for anything, including simple things like watching TV.

Number 1 is interesting, I've never thought about it in that way, but if I am able to curb my excessive thinking it would probably help- as I'm a very deep thinker!

Personally one thing that works for me is setting small achievable goals e.g. 5 minutes of tidying up (vs doing it all) or say read a page instead of a chapter (not the best examples, but hopefully you catch my drift).

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Setting really small goals, even setting an alarm for when I have to get out of bed by (and even snoozing it, it doesn't matter) but it brings me into the present and the idea of time passing.

Getting outside - that's a really important one for me. Trying to go for a walk, even 10 mins and it feels ridiculously hard. Do it anyway.

Moving the chocolate off the nightstand. That way I have to get out of bed.

Putting something from iplayer on, probably comedy. Chances are the noise will irritate me and want me to get up.

Doing whatever it takes: if I want junk food, have it - and it's even better if I have to leave the house for it!
  • Options
    TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for sharing these @plugitin, i love the chocolate one, hehe.

@apandav - well done for admitting something that you feel embarrassed by - you're certainly not the only one to struggle with finding that motivation sometimes. Are there any helplines you find more helpful than others during those times?

I guess the other thing is that some days, it might just be too hard and being able to accept that can help too?

-Jo7
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    TheSite wrote: »

@apandav - well done for admitting something that you feel embarrassed by - you're certainly not the only one to struggle with finding that motivation sometimes. Are there any helplines you find more helpful than others during those times?

I guess the other thing is that some days, it might just be too hard and being able to accept that can help too?

-Jo7

Well depends what I need, if I need a long chat it would probably be samaritans and when I need some advice I phone breathing space (as they are professionals with mental health or counselling backgrounds etc.). Normally if I'm set that I must get up, but just feel I can't breathing space "make" me (well they can't force me, they just tell me how it is and it makes me force myself to get up).

That's a good point, I think if it was one or a few bad days I see no harm in staying in bed but it becomes a bigger issue when it's ongoing.