Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CAMHS - Can anyone help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, guys and gals. :)

I used to go to CAMHS when I was 16 (for OCD treatment and ADHD symptoms to be examined). I felt that there sessions weren't so good at first, but over time - I thought they really helped. I was discharged when I was 17 (when I had just started college), but I didn't really feel like I was ready. My parents didn't really see the point in me going to the sessions, and I'm pretty sure that they thought the sessions were pointless - like I thought at first. I sort of agreed to be discharged because my parents would have thought it was the correct decision.

It wasn't the correct decision. Some of my OCD symptoms were still there when I was discharged, but now it's back and worse than ever. I'm now at University (still living at home) and it was really tough getting my college grades to get in. I had to work my socks off overtime to catch up on everything, because I just couldn't focus in my lessons properly since I had so much going on. Luckily, I got into University - but I don't even think that I'll pass this first year. My attention span is terrible (worse than before) and I have several OCD urges and inattentive issues affecting my day every day. I'm very far behind in my work, and I don't attend all of my classes because I know that I can't pay attention after 5 minutes.

My question is: do you think CAMHS would allow a one-off session for me to tell them how I'm feeling and what to do/where to go next? I know some CAMHS services offer services up to 16, some to 18, some to 19, and some to 25. If you think they would, how would I even bring the message across when I phone them? If you were in my situation, and needed to ring them back (despite being two years older) would you think it's stupid? I do think it's stupid, but it's only them who know what I went through. It's pointless asking my University about anything, as the staff aren't particularly "friendly". When I mean "friendly", I mean that they just seem to either not want to talk or have no idea what you're on about (trust me, it's that bad).

Can anyone help?
Cheers! :)

Comments

• Options
    If you're over 18 you'll probably be under CMHT instead of Camhs. It might be worth going to your GP and seeing what they suggest at first?
  • Options
    Hiccup is right and it is a better idea to perhaps go to your GP who can then do you a referral to CMHT,or another specific service in your local area.x
  • Options
    Hey there Teenaging :wave:

It sounds like the sessions you had with CAMHS were helping but you felt under a bit of pressure, especially from your parents, to agree to be discharged when you felt you could still do with the support. It can be tricky to manage those kind of situations but what I can hear now is that you're looking for support to help you now that you're at university.

As well as getting an appointment in with your GP your university may also have some services available to you so it would be worth talking to someone in student services or meeting up with one of your tutors if you have one you feel would be approachable?

Do you feel able to tell any of your friends at uni about your OCD? Having people to lean on and to talk to can really help you to feel less alone in this too.

This story from someone else coping with OCD at uni might also be helpful for you to read: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health...sity-6158.html

OCD Action could also be a great source of advice and support for you - you can call or email them and look for local support groups too.

And finally, the mental health charity Mind have an Infoline you could also contact to find out more about accessing services: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

Let us know how you get on, really glad you found us :)
  • Options
    Your uni will have some sort of counselling/psychological services. They'll be able to help you with how your OCD's affecting your uni work, as well as helping you contact your GP and other services so you get what you need.

As an aside, I found the transition between Camhs and adult services a nightmare (notes lost, noone had any idea what was going on, it wasn't automatic despite having the exact same problems as a teenager and an adult). The uni services might be more likely to help you with your actual problems instead of fighting over appointments and paperwork.