Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

General Anaesthetic? Worried!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a bit of a procedure which I have to do in hospital on Tuesday. I have been asked to do it while asleep as my anxiety kicks in so much and I can't cope with being awake and doing it. What I want to know is how do they go about sedating you and what happens when you wake up? I really have to have it done or I will continue to have symptoms. I will be in the Adult day care unit so I can go home afterwards. Wish me luck 😳

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    A general anaesthetic will allow your body to go intoo a controlled state of unconsiousness, this will most likely be done via the use of gas or fluids (Medication), etc. This is done to ensure you don't feel pain or move during procedure. - You will most likly be observed until you go wake up and once you do you will be moved to the adult day care unit. From there, you can be discharged. Prior to surgery, they will go through the process wth you and what will happen during general anaesthetic, so if you have any worries, its best to clear them up there and then.

NHS have a useful article explaning the process, for example from when the general anaesthetic is administered to recovery, worth checking out - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaesthetic-general/pages/definition.aspx
  • Options
    Thank you lots!
    :)
  • Options
    I did it so I will delete this post! I am feeling groggy but I hope it will be fine . X
  • Options
    Well done, hope you feel better soon :)
  • Options
    Well done. That feeling does wear off after a while. I last had GA just over 11 years ago (new years eve of all days!) and had surgery around mid morning. I spent the whole afternoon / evening just wanting to sleep. That groggy feeling did go after almost 12 hours of sleep.
  • Options
    Thank you all. I am still feeling weird. On strong painkillers. Hope it settles! Still have some pain.