Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Helping scars to heal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the last few months, I've been in a really bad place and started self-harming quite regularly which has left me with a lot of scars on my arms and legs. Some of them are over two months old and they don't look like they've faded at all. Is there anything I can do to help them heal/fade? They're not a huge issue at the moment because it's winter and covering up is easy but I'm dreading summer because people will start asking me why I'm wearing long sleeves and trousers on a hot day. Any suggestions as to what to tell people when they ask why I'm covering up would also be really helpful (my parents don't know about the self-harm and I'd like to keep it that way)

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey Rivena, you could try something like Bio-oil or Palmer's cocoa butter to help with your scars.

• Options
    I swear by lemon juice and bio oil
  • Options
    Hey Rivena :wave:

Selfharm.co.uk have some good advice on scars too: https://www.selfharm.co.uk/get/facts/dealing_with_scars

Perhaps you could use the space here to practice some ideas for what you could say if you're questioned about covering up in the summer?

You mention you don't want your parents knowing, is there anyone you do feel able to confide in to get some support around this?
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    You mention you don't want your parents knowing, is there anyone you do feel able to confide in to get some support around this?

I'm seeing a therapist and most of my friends have been very supportive
  • Options
    Rivena1623 wrote: »

I'm seeing a therapist and most of my friends have been very supportive

That's really good to hear *hug*

We're here for you too if you need anything :yes:
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Rivena1623 wrote: »
    Over the last few months, I've been in a really bad place and started self-harming quite regularly which has left me with a lot of scars on my arms and legs. Some of them are over two months old and they don't look like they've faded at all. Is there anything I can do to help them heal/fade? They're not a huge issue at the moment because it's winter and covering up is easy but I'm dreading summer because people will start asking me why I'm wearing long sleeves and trousers on a hot day. Any suggestions as to what to tell people when they ask why I'm covering up would also be really helpful (my parents don't know about the self-harm and I'd like to keep it that way)

Hello there Rivena,

Well done of being able to approach friends about what's been going on for you and a therapist, that's a massive step, so I'm proud of you. All scars heal at different times and vary on the type of scars to, for example, deeper ones take an awful lot longer to heal than lighter ones. But if you were to approach your GP, they can give you these patchy sticky things you stick on your scars to help them fade, s/he should also be able to offer you alternatives. They don't always work, but better giving them ago, if you're determined to get rid of these scars.

Another thing you could do, if you're going past a pharmacy or something, you could always ask pharmacy what they would recommend for scar reduction, most will likely just suggest bio-oil, which is really good for lighter scars.

Do keep us updated on how things are going on, and were always here for you if you need a chat,
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart