Home› Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Relationships with Anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi my boyfriend and I have been going out for 5 months. I know we are kind of new, but I need some advice. He says he has anxiety. He says he has no soul and no feelings. He barely wants to talk about his feelings and only wants to talk about mine usually. He thinks I dated him out of desperation and thinks he is ugly. He says I make his anxiety a little better. I compliment him and do so much to make him happy. I'm a very emotional person myself but he keeps everything to himself. How can I get him to feel better about himself and share more about his feelings? I know it will take time but please help me with some advice.

Comments

• Options
    Hi and welcome to TheSite :wave:

I've moved your thread over to our Relationships forum where it sits better :)

People with anxiety may sometimes find it difficult to open up and talk about things, even if they want to. It may feel daunting to help your boyfriend with his anxiety, but it sounds like you are doing everything you already can for him and it's great that he has you supporting him. As you said it may take time for him to open up a bit more - him telling you about his anxiety shows he trusts you and feels able to tell you - carry on doing what you're doing :yes:

We have some advice here on supporting your partner with anxiety which might be worth a read, as well as a bit about anxiety itself.

Look after yourself too and let us know how you get on *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you:)
  • Options
    I know how you feel, I've been having the same issue with my girlfriend of 5 months. she's been struggling with anxiety and depression and I've been doing anything to try to help her. I get how hard it is to try to help.
  • Options
    Yep he had depression as well. But I feel like I'm slowly making a difference with him. His friend that's more like his brother even agreed with me. Just keep making your girlfriend feel special, and that she is the best in the world!😊
  • Options
    Glad to hear things are slowly getting a little better @Girly28 :) It can take time but helping to build somebody's self-esteem can definitely help.

@rmuel18 - if you wanted to start your own thread to talk a bit more about your situation and get support then do go ahead :yes:
  • Options
    It can be super tough trying to support someone with a mental illness. My boyfriend and I struggled quite a bit during the first few months to a year of our relationship as we were both trying to figure out how best to support me. We're finally there though, so if you ever do struggle, try and remember that you're both still learning. You'll get there. :thumb:

It sounds like you're doing a great job though! You seem to be a lovely girlfriend to him. Just make sure you're looking after yourself, too. It can take its toll on you as well, and the better you feel, the better you'll be able to support him. :)
  • Options
    Things are getting even tougher on my end, I'm glad to hear that things are working well with your boyfriend tho! My girlfriend and i live in different towns so we go to different schools. Her friends have been turning on her and leaving her with a shattered self confidence, extremely low self esteem and she const feel like she can open up to anyone else because she's afraid to be hurt again. She tells me that I'm the only one she can really talk to and trust but i don't know how else to help her with her self image and fear to open up
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @rmuel18 :wave:

I see you started your own thread about this in the health and wellbeing section of our forum which is great. :thumb: I noticed you have picked up some responses over there - what do you think? Only mentioning it because keeping things in one place (ie your thread) could keep advice and support you receive more tailored to you, and also helps you and other people keep track of what's being said so things don't get repeated.

Please do feel free to continue talking this out in your own time, it's great to see you opening up. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.