Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sex on your period?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So... this always seems to be a taboo topic, or at least generates marmite opinions. What are people's opinions on having sex on your period? Gross? Normal? Better than non-period sex?! :naughty:

My friends and I have a bunch of different opinions, and I've changed mine over the years, so it'd be so interesting to hear what people think, or if people have any anecdotes they don't mind sharing.

I, personally, don't go there unless it's during the last few days. I just don't want anyone going down there as I feel horrible and bloated and cramped up! My boyfriend doesn't care at all though. He's easy, which is very comforting. :blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have earned my red wings years ago, but I am not overly keen on it, nor averse to it. According to a few women, more women should go for it. Not only is everything more sensitive then, it is apparently also a good remedy for pain and cramps (and maybe also with mood ;) ). I have no problem sitting those couple of days out, however.
    Yes, I only found out recently that it helps with cramps. I assumed it would make it worse. It also shortens your period, apparently, as orgasmic cramps dislodges more lining. Makes sense when you think about it!

How come you're not overly keen on it?
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I can see why people would go for it. I always feel more up for it around the start of my period but the idea grosses me out!
    hiyalouise wrote: »
    Yes, I only found out recently that it helps with cramps. I assumed it would make it worse. It also shortens your period, apparently, as orgasmic cramps dislodges more lining. Makes sense when you think about it!

How come you're not overly keen on it?

It's a bit messy. It's not bad. If the gf wanted to, I would not turn her down, if I am in the mood otherwise. But given the chance between sex on or off the period then I am choosing off.
    It's so frustrating when you're more up for it but feel horrible, @plugitin! It may not be as gross as you think though. Shove a towel down, make sure you've got wet wipes nearby and bosh, you're done. You are more susceptible to pregnancy and STIs, however, so condoms are always a must. Bit of new knowledge I found out recently.
    It's so frustrating when you're more up for it but feel horrible, @plugitin! It may not be as gross as you think though. Shove a towel down, make sure you've got wet wipes nearby and bosh, you're done. You are more susceptible to pregnancy and STIs, however, so condoms are always a must. Bit of new knowledge I found out recently.

Any source for the pregnancy claim?

Well, according to what I remember from my sex ed, the chances of pregnancy during your menstruation is considerably lower. You are just then and there expelling an egg and it somewhere in the range of 5 to 10 days (depending if your period just started or is about to end, also may differ individually) for a new one to be released from the ovary.

I am not saying don't use protection for period sex, but chances of pregnancy during your period are quite low.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'd be interested to know about the pregnancy claim too. I have friends who use the rhythm method and that's meant to be one of the least dangerous times. After day 10 is meant to be when you're most susceptible?
    I'm with Strubbs on this. Personally I don't have any beef with doing so on her lighter days, wack a towel down and job's a good'un. Plus I've heard a lot of people say sex drive is increased around that time of the month, and who am I to be a buzz kill?
    Sperm lives inside the body for up to a week and people's ovulation times always differ, so it's always better to be extra careful, especially if you tend to ovulate slightly early. The myth is that you can't get pregnant during period sex, which isn't true. STIs are the real risk though as they're passed on a lot more easily during your period, so condoms are highly recommended with period sex more for that reason.

Bizarrely, I found out the other day that people used to think that menstruating women could infect sperm and produce disabled children. That's a new one! :hyper:
    The myth is that you can't get pregnant during period sex, which isn't true.

I did not claim that. There is always a chance, but the probability fluctuates during the cycle with the highest chance of course being right around ovulation and the lowest being around during menstruation. Also, the claim that sperm lives up to a week inside the women's body is already a very generous estimation. Most are dead in 3 days, some are found after 5 days with very low mobility. Not saying you cannot get pregnant having sex a week before ovulation, but saying there is a "heightened" chance is just not correct.

I want to reiterate that if you really don't want to become pregnant then you should always use a reliable birth control method, but spreading dubious or false claims is not in the interest of anyone. I hope you don't see this as a personal attack.
    Ah, I was just commenting on the general myth. It wasn't directed at you - apologies if that's how it was read!

It's interesting hearing different information and opinions on this. I think it just goes to show how much discussion on things like this are healthy.

At the end of the day, the only way to not get pregnant is to not have sex. There's always going to be a chance. Sperm can most definitely be active for up to a week, however. This is from the NHS: '
    Sperm can survive in the fallopian tubes for up to seven days, so fertilisation can occur even if sperm entered the fallopian tubes before an egg was released.'

It's great to hear that you guys aren't necessarily bothered by period sex. I remember it always being a gross idea when I was in school!