Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Setting up google account-is it free?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi just wondering if anyone knows whether or not you have to pay or be charged or billed for having a Google account? So confused as I heard that it's completely free, but when I read the policies billing and credit cards were mentioned. As I'm planning to upload some ASMR vids to youtube under my own account name I don't want phone calls, letters etc asking for payments.

Any feedback will be appreciated Gemma.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a Google+/YouTube account and never paid anything. I think it's free, card details must be for when you get an awful lot of views and they start giving you advertising options? idk but have fun lol :)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Yeah I had a google/youtube account and I didn't pay anything either.

Hope you get it sorted :thumb:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    A Google account is free. Uploading to YouTube is free. The reason they have policies mentioned credit cards etc, is because they have subscription services, such as Google Music, Google Play (for purchasing apps, games, books, TV shows etc.), Google Drive, Google Wallet etc.
    Thanks everyone for your helpful advice & replies. Sorry if this is a little late. Will get on setting it up asap. 😀
    Good news that I've set up my account but something took me by surprise last week when I discovered this old video of me where (sorry if this sounds a little on the show-offy side, I don't mean this in that way at all) I'm eating an ice cream as fast as possible (don't ask! And yes you'd be forgiven if you think this now sounds ridiculous). I thought I'd deleted the vid ages ago as I'd shut down my old youtube account but I typed in my name -I was checking that my former Facebook profile was completely closed down as I got a text from a friend that my former colleagues from where I used to work had access to my account though I left Facebook a couple of years ago- and it showed that vid of me. Now I'm pretty worried that people and Youtubers have either put nasty comments or have mocked me.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Gemma,

Glad you managed to set up your account okay :)
    It can be a bit of a shock to find videos of ourselves online that we thought had been deleted. And it's totally understandable to be worried about people leaving nasty comments - that seems to happen quite a lot on YouTube. It sounds like your friend is looking out for you though, which is nice.

From what you've said, it sounds like your former colleagues took a video from your old Facebook account and then uploaded it to YouTube. Is that right?
    If so, you could try reporting the video to YouTube (under the red 'subscribe' button, you should see 3 dots and the word 'more' - click that and then 'report').

Do you think that's worth a try?
    Hey sorry I've not got back sooner or been a little more clear. I briefly returned back to FB on my phone 2 years ago but had to stop as I couldn't trust myself not to vent out my frustration if anyone posted anything which would cause such a reaction, using the site via phone was fiddly as well as credit-consuming and I was getting annoyed with notifications. And this was after that video got posted.

I posted the vid myself and stupidly put my name as one of the tags. Thankfully the video is not of inappropriate nature. This vid was put on youtube by me back in November 2011. No one at my former workplace had anything to do with it & I appreciate my friend for looking out for me (as she always does and vice-versa).

As always thank you for the advice and I find this website and everything about it very supportive. Gamma :)