Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Are girls getting angrier?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last night BBC aired this documentary on female violence. It focuses on the causes from real cases of female violence and we hear from victims, as well as an experiment on public reactions to male & female violence in the exact same scenario.

There has been a lot of criticism on twitter about the documentary 'making excuses' for or 'showing sympathy' to female abusers - blaming their actions on alcohol or low self-respect.

Why might it be that people don't excuse it, or tend to intervene when a man is violent, but a woman's violence is often overlooked or even completely ignored? Do you think that females are let off more lightly?

Perhaps you might have come across or know someone who was involved in a case of female violence - it would be interesting to hear your thoughts or experiences.

Comments

• ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    I think women are getting angrier... however there is no excuse for abuse. Whether you're a man, a woman, a child.. or even a bloody dog. There is never any excuse to hurt someone. I would say the only reason you should ever hurt someone else is if it's life or death and they are literally going to seriously harm you.. I suppose I'm saying self defence.. I think females are generally let off too lightly when it comes to things such as domestic violence or assaults and things. So many feminists bleat on about equality and stuff but if you can't deal with the consequences you don't want equality.. you want "equality when it suits you".

I didn't catch this documentary but I plan to watch it on catch up at some point.

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I TO BELIEVE THAT SOMETIMES WOMAN CAN GET AWAY WITH TO MUCH THESE DAYS AND I TOTALLY AGREE THAT THERE IS ANSOLUTLEY NO EXCUSE FOR ANY TYPE OF ABUSE
    People are more concerned with violence against women than violence against men because of female reproductive value. Nothing you can do to change this. What can be challenged however is the ideological framework that asserts women are victims of hetero-patriarchy even when they are perpetrators. This is literally what is taught in universities all around the world - that women only commit domestic violence as a means of resisting patriarchal domination.

Also, female violence against boyfriends and husbands isn't just overlooked or ignored. It's glorified. It's the men bad/women good dynamic that permeates the media and popular culture.
    Thanks for posting guys! Really interesting to hear your opinions on the topic.

Did you manage to watch it @ShatteredSecrets?

Again, an interesting view there @Spliffie - do you think the media often seeks to excuse female violence and blame it on something or someone else?

I wonder if anyone here has come across any real cases :chin:
    Raich - I tried to but it was just way too distressing for me. Still believe it's genuinely a problem though. Just like all these social experiment videos on youtube. One I can recall is a gendered domestic violence video. Where more people intervened when a female was being abused, but when the female was the abuser barely anyone would step in and help. Absolutely hurrendous.

• louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Abuse is abuse no matter about sex, age, ethnic background, culture or area. violence is violence.
    @ShatteredSecrets they did a similar experiment for the documentary too. If you have it handy perhaps you could share the link here? :chin:

​That's a good point @louisa982 :yes:
    Sure.. here it is (sorry won't let me post actual link properly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtVHnZX8E50

Sure.. here it is (sorry won't let me post actual link properly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtVHnZX8E50

I've just watched this SS - it's powerful and really quite shocking to see the difference in reactions when it was the exact same scenario :eek2: