Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Difficulty in Relaxing

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Basically, I just feel like I've lost my ability to relax in general. I used to love chilling whilst watching TV, but now I don't have the concentration span anymore. I don't have the desire to relax. Normally I end up wasting my spare time literally doing nothing.

After all that's happened this year, I feel I've lost my ability to relax and enjoyment from it. I know mindfulness is relaxing, but I haven't had the motivation to do the meditation sessions online and I've only done the techniques when stressed etc. My point is I feel I can't enjoy anything anymore, I'm not sure why. I mean things have been tough, and I'm starting to get back on track but I feel I still can't relax.

I know it's important, especially with me starting uni. As of next week I'll barley have any time on my hands. Just like they said at my uni introduction- balance is key to surving uni. It's just as important to have down time as working hard. Hence, I feel the need to be able to relax even more so.

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey apandav, *hug*s

Sorry to hear your struggling with relaxing, could you try having a nice bath or shower and then doing something that doesn't involve a screen so something like colouring or writing, that may help.

Hope your okay, keep posting if you need too :heart:

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Thanks *BananaMonkey* *hug*

I just find it hard to motivate myself to do things including relaxing. Like I feel I've lost myself. It's hard to explain. I just don't know exactly what I like anymore.

Probably should try to cut down my iPad usage etc. I'm just weary of the fact at uni I will need to be able to wind down. For obvious reasons, if I want to survive uni!
    It sounds to me that you have a great self awareness of what you need.

Finding motivation is sometimes difficult, something that helps me are post it notes to remind me to do things, also remembering how I will feel after I have done things if that makes sense.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    I'll give it a go. I know that being busy is good for me. I have actually had a very busy weekend, preparing for uni. However, I do find it hard to relax- if I have something I need to do, I have to get it all done before I relax. I can't relax if I was to take a break in between. I'm a bit weary that at uni, I may have some tasks that I will have to complete over a time period. I'm just wondering how will I be able to relax then? In the past I struggled a lot with balance during exam season and found it hard to switch off (my parents had to tell me to stop studying on numerous occasions). I just felt during my free time I couldn't stop thinking about what I needed to do. I would like to be able to enjoy the little free time I get to relax- I want to survive uni after all!
    Not sure what to say to help but wanted to offer you some *hug*s :heart:
    Thank you *BananaMonkey* *hug* s back
    It's okay. Anytime :heart:
    Yes, I have heard of progressive muscle relaxation - infact it's on a CD I got from the primary MH team I saw. I all honetsly, I did try it but I kept on getting distracted- couldn't sir through the full duration. Then I gave up on it! I just felt as I relaxed eg. my face, my legs would get restless. I guess I should give it another shot, I didn't practice it enough!

Recently I have been using walks as a get away, when I feel the need. Exercise - I feel bad, as I used to do it regularly but now I feel crap that I've put on weight and I dread exercise as I know I can't do as much as I used to be able to (I know it will be more difficult as it's been a while). Really I should start!

Knowing me, I will get stressed and probably overwhelm myself :( but I want to prevent that (or at least not get so uptight!!).
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It can take a while to get into. I remember I got given some breathing techniques in therapy and it took over a month's worth of practice before any of it started to come naturally. I'm not saying at all that the breathing techniques will take that long, however it might take a few sessions before you can get into it!

Anything is an uphill struggle at the start, but give it time and you'll definitely be able to do it :)
    Yeah that's true! I'm so impatient !!