Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I told my college tutor everything today

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
It was my first day back to college today, i never slept last night because i was stressing myself out and worrying so much about telling my tutor about my depression,self harm and anxiety disorder, i wrote it all down in a letter and handed it to him just before i left to go to break and i said can you please read this and then can we talk at lunch and that's what happened.

I shouldn't of been so worried,his reaction was all that i wanted, very supportive,understanding and he sounded like he just wants to help in anyway he can, i was worried that he would have to contact my parents about my self harm but he said he would only contact them if i wanted him to, the only thing that worries me is that he had to tell all my other subject teachers about it all so they can all keep an eye on me and im worried my teachers will treat me differently, he also had to contact the support officer but as im getting help already they wont need to do anything.

The first thing my tutor said was i understand how hard it must of been to talk to me about this, it must be hard to talk to anyone about what your'e going through but i am always here if you just want to chat.
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Huge well done jpeople - that was extremely brave and I hope you're proud of yourself. I'm so glad it went well *hug*
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey jpeople111

Massive well done to you! :yippe:That's fantastic that you wrote down what you are going through and let your tutor know about it. It's such a brave thing to do, but you really should give yourself a pat on the back for doing this. It can be a scary thing telling other people about your depression and anxiety disorder - so it's truly amazing you had the strength to do this. :yes:

Im really pleased to hear you found a great source of support in your tutor too - it must be very reassuring for you, as you were so worried beforehand (naturally so).
    I think the steps your tutor took - letting your other teachers know what is going on for you right now, is an important safeguarding issue, that your teachers need to be aware of. Im sure that this won't change how they act towards you - it's perhaps an issue they probably should know about, just in case.

That's amazing what your tutor said to you - be great to keep that in your mind whenever you feel like you do need to talk to someone :thumb:
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Well done jpeople :d You have taken a massive step in telling your tutor and it has paid off. You should be very proud of yourself.

It's also a learning curve...... just think you were extremely worried about confiding in your tutor, yet it turned out not as bad as you thought, with a positive outcome! This is something to remember in the future!

I wish you all the best :)