Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mental Health and Employment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I work in a school and suffer with mental health problems(some diagnosed, others still trying to work out).I am great at acting and hiding things-But, is it bad/unacceptable, to be working in a school and suffering with something like this?I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound stupid.Thank you xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think due to the responsibility of working in a school, it's vital that you let them know. You're working with young people and you have a duty of care. Your employers could also help you out a lot if they knew.
    Hiccup wrote: »
    I think due to the responsibility of working in a school, it's vital that you let them know. You're working with young people and you have a duty of care. Your employers could also help you out a lot if they knew.

Thank you for replying Hun.It's much appreciated as I hope you know!

I have been for the occupational health review last year but I'm not sure if the new team of my school(employment)know or not :s

Do you think its bad that im working in a school while suffering then?xx
    I don't think it's bad at all, so long as the people in your care are not at risk but most importantly that your not damaging your mental health further by taking up this position and like Hiccup disclosing any mental health issues is crucial, especially hen working with vulnerable people:)

Please do ask for help if you feel you're not copping Angelface.

Vitellina Tristis ;)

They are certainly not at risk with me working with them and having a duty or care and responsibility.

Who would be the best person to know would you say?

Thanks for replying
    Xx
    No worries.Thank you still though x