Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What do you do when your bored?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So I'm interested to find out what others do when they are feeling bored? Maybe it's a hobby, interest or just something simple like watching TV.

Personally, I have too much free time at the moment and I wish I had a proper hobby! I've started reading again and I'm enjoying my mindfulness colouring in book. But I still have too much time on my hands!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I run, I cycle or I play my ukuele.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Being outdoors, reading, photography are all amongst mine!
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Teaching myself to play guitar, listening to music, going on a walk and taking photo's, baking or just watching loads of music videos on youtube
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
    Some weekends I go to Kent where three years ago I bought a Martello Tower and had an architerct sympathetically redesign it. There I enjoy renovating the place little by little as some of its internal walls need pugging up. It has very thick walls so music can be played loud without my neighbours hearing anything. Prior to that I was burgled and decided that a Martello would be virtually impregnable. I have a shortwave rig, a decent telly and a nice gas cooker and a very comfy sofa. Everything went in before the lid got put back on. These weekends are spent repairing a lav.. stuff like that. Being of mechanical bent, I'm into DIY and not having to pay a tradesman. Presently I'm finishing off an oak table that I designed to fit into the small space of the tower. It's collapsable so will go through the narrow door downstairs. Its a bit of a bugger to walk up carring logs for my small woodburner, shopping etc. But its fun and above all, cosy. I still have my old Land Rover Defender, its done over 100,000 miles and its seen me through floods, snow and ice. Great for carrying large loads, carpentry stuff not forgetting Jack my lovely spaniel. He's happy doing anything at weekends. Maybe not so glad to be galloping up over 100 stairs. Keeps me fit after all! :d
    Some weekends I go to Kent where three years ago I bought a Martello Tower and had an architerct sympathetically redesign it. There I enjoy renovating the place little by little as some of its internal walls need pugging up. It has very thick walls so music can be played loud without my neighbours hearing anything. Prior to that I was burgled and decided that a Martello would be virtually impregnable. I have a shortwave rig, a decent telly and a nice gas cooker and a very comfy sofa. Everything went in before the lid got put back on. These weekends are spent repairing a lav.. stuff like that. Being of mechanical bent, I'm into DIY and not having to pay a tradesman. Presently I'm finishing off an oak table that I designed to fit into the small space of the tower. It's collapsable so will go through the narrow door downstairs. Its a bit of a bugger to walk up carring logs for my small woodburner, shopping etc. But its fun and above all, cosy. I still have my old Land Rover Defender, its done over 100,000 miles and its seen me through floods, snow and ice. Great for carrying large loads, carpentry stuff not forgetting Jack my lovely spaniel. He's happy doing anything at weekends. Maybe not so glad to be galloping up over 100 stairs. Keeps me fit after all! :d

Wow! That sounds ace.. I had to google what a Martello Tower was. Sounds like an amazing project :)

When I'm bored I turn to Netflix, a walk in the countryside or very boringly, chores!!
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    It's cool to hear what everyone else likes to do in their spare time :) Sounds amazing @AccessDenied , it's definitely a hobby very unique to you! You must be really proud of it :)
    It's cool to hear what everyone else likes to do in their spare time :)

Sounds amazing @AccessDenied , it's definitely a hobby very unique to you! You must be really proud of it :)
    Lots of musicians among us - @Melian[/USER] [USER="95114"]jpeople111 - Myself included, I can play the recorder lol *joking* (I used to be good at playing the recorder when I was like 10). But that's brilliant, ohh ukele Melian - that's different! I used to have a guitar when I was younger Jpeople but I still have no clue!

@plugitin photography sounds fun, I'm joining my friends university next year, she's planning on joining the photography society, I'd like to give it a try (but I have no experience of it really).

A lot of you like walks, I do too! They are so relaxing. I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of outdoor parks, canals, nature trails - I prefer walking in quiet areas. I find the nature really helps me with mindfulness! I love the feeling of being alone in a big open area!
    I had to give up the guitar because my hands are too small!
    Melian wrote: »
    I had to give up the guitar because my hands are too small!

Aww :) well your doing better than me I can't play any instruments baring the recorder (if I still can lol)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    When I am bored, I usually have a nap. Not very productive I know, or sometimes I will tidy, or do some colouring.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    When I am bored, I usually have a nap. Not very productive I know, or sometimes I will tidy, or do some colouring.

Each to their own :) In the past week or two I've really go into the colouring. I have a few books now but currently my favourite is "colour therapy an anti-stress colouring book" as it has a very wide range to colour in, it also has pages for design, it sometimes starts of patterns for you- it's very inspiring :)
    Jo7 wrote: »

Wow! That sounds ace.. I had to google what a Martello Tower was. Sounds like an amazing project :)

Somewhere in my journal is the full story. Tomorrow I'll look it out and see if I can post it. Might need editing, but we'll see.

Every so often when insomnia strikes and I'm bored, I'll have a rummage through my hoardings and chuck unwanted stuff out. It's practical, it can be stopped for when sleep comes, and can be restarted next time I'm in the mood. :)

when I'm bored I usually go to youtube and watch some of the people i am subscribed to - like Tyler Oakley orrrrrr Dan and Phil :)
    Netflix. I love Netflix.
    If I'm bored and feeling creative, I'll work on self teaching piano or get messy with my paints. If I'm bored and lazy, Netflix and Youtube all the way haha. Sometimes, I'll full on pamper myself to cure boredom. Bath bombs, body creams, foot spa, the lot.
    Also, boredbutton.com! :heart:
    Every so often when insomnia strikes and I'm bored, I'll have a rummage through my hoardings and chuck unwanted stuff out. It's practical, it can be stopped for when sleep comes, and can be restarted next time I'm in the mood. :)
    I love doing this. :d
    Where I used to live, if I couldn't be arsed to go to the town's tip with an old chair for example, all I needed do was leave it outside. And next day it'd be gone. I was considering putting an old lav outside, too, but chances are someone would probably pee in it on their way back from the pub.
    Where I used to live, if I couldn't be arsed to go to the town's tip with an old chair for example, all I needed do was leave it outside. And next day it'd be gone. I was considering putting an old lav outside, too, but chances are someone would probably pee in it on their way back from the pub. ;)
    I'll watch some random funny videos, read a book, or do some quick exercises. Or if the weekend, will go for a walk and see if I find anything interesting.
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I get very bored at college. i have so many free's so i tend to colour in and watch bbc iplayer
    When I am bored I usually indulge myself with a spot of creative writing, there really is nothing else that offers me such escapism.