Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Only have one person who is supportive over my depression diagnosis

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
I sent this to my cousin

Im back, i thought they would all understand....clearly not, i tell people i have depression and i swear they think oh she is just lieing but no im not, i went to see a bloody doctor about it and that depression is the opposite of what it is, i only have one person i know who is supporting me out of all my friends and family.

I was only just doing what i felt right and i feel that people are ganging up on me and that everyone is against me, this started because i had a trial for a job today and i didnt accept the job, people tell me that i should of accepted it because it would help keep my mind busy but the job was not for me and you had to do an overwhelming amount of stuff, i cant do that while coping with depression, trying to look happy all the time, keeping up the quality of my work, hiding my self harm scars and forcing myself out of bed in the morning and my head is not even in the right place at the moment...i feel at my lowest right now.
People still seem to think that depression is just being sad a lot ... if only they knew how that feels being dismissed that way.
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi jpeople111,

Sorry to hear you feel you are lacking support and people don't understand. Depression is really hard to explain to people who have never felt it. It's not just black or white and it's different for everyone. Sometimes people's reaction or lack of support is not personal - it's more ignorance or fear of the unknown…or even fear of saying the wrong thing. Some people deal with it trying to use tough love, some try to say it's no big deal hoping you'll believe it's not and some don't even know what to say.
    At the end of the day, the job you decide to take is your choice - depression or not - it's up to you. Well done in the first place for attending job trials and interviews, that's already a great start. Working will help and will keep your mind busy at times, however it's up to you which job you choose.

Have a look at an article on
    How do you tell someone what depression feels like? from the Time to change website. We also have a thread in the Relationship forum at the moment on Opening up to others about mental heath, that could be helpful to have a look at and post in if you want :)

Good luck and keep doing what you're doing *hug*