Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cecil the Lion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you feel about the killing of Cecil the Lion? Why do you think the killing has caused so much anger?
What do you think about the treatment of the killer, Walter Palmer? Has it gone too far or should more be done?

Comments

• Options
    I really hope this doesn't sound like some vegetarian preachy shit, but it bugs me that everyone is so riled up about it and yet they eat meat. I really don't agree with the killing, but for me the same applies to all hunting. It really doesn't make sense to be so angry about this and then go and treat yourself to a nice lamb joint or something.

573b7ea883b3c17b931d1eba5f638f3f.jpg
  • Options
    It's such a shame. There's one less Lion in the wild and there's not many left as it is.
  • Options
    Petrichor has a good point!
  • Options
    Zimbabwe has been suffering serious human rights abuses and has had one one of the lowest life expectancies in the world for over ten years and people are raging about a fucking lion.
    Petrichor wrote: »
    I really hope this doesn't sound like some vegetarian preachy shit, but it bugs me that everyone is so riled up about it and yet they eat meat. I really don't agree with the killing, but for me the same applies to all hunting.

Absolutely!
  • Options
    I really hope this doesn't sound like some vegetarian preachy shit, but it bugs me that everyone is so riled up about it and yet they eat meat. I really don't agree with the killing, but for me the same applies to all hunting. It really doesn't make sense to be so angry about this and then go and treat yourself to a nice lamb joint or something.

573b7ea883b3c17b931d1eba5f638f3f.jpg

Cecil the Lion was killed for the thrill a hunter feels when killing a high-profile animal, whereas animals that are killed for meat are killed for the purpose of eating them. Doesn't that make the killing of Cecil the Lion more outrageous?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Zimbabwe has been suffering serious human rights abuses and has had one one of the lowest life expectancies in the world for over ten years and people are raging about a fucking lion.

Why do you think people are more angry about the lion than all the people who have suffered under the Mugabe regime? Is it because of the online hype the killing of Cecil the Lion has generated, or do people value the lion more highly than they value people?

Do you think more should have been done while the story was all over the news to raise awareness of the huan rights abuses that people have suffered in Zimbabwe?
  • Options
    Although I don't agree in the slightest about the killing, I think the fact that everyone's getting so bothered about this specific lion is a bit weird. Someone posted on Facebook that 1 of the last 5 Northern White Rhinos had died, surely that's just as important?
  • Options
    WayneS wrote: »

Cecil the Lion was killed for the thrill a hunter feels when killing a high-profile animal, whereas animals that are killed for meat are killed for the purpose of eating them. Doesn't that make the killing of Cecil the Lion more outrageous?

No, it doesn't. At least Cecil lived a good life prior to the killing, you certainly can't say that about farm animals. Both hunting for kicks and slaughter for food are equally unnecessary. Essentially, when you eat meat, you're killing for pleasure in just the same way as this hunter did. No one needs to eat meat or animal products, so the only benefit to you is taste. Taste is nothing but a (albeit lower key) thrill.

45b4df24a199c3e50ab90bc19c3c0b16b09324a0eb3bb8b499dd47311164a8c9.jpg
  • Options
    No, it doesn't. At least Cecil lived a good life prior to the killing, you certainly can't say that about farm animals. Both hunting for kicks and slaughter for food are equally unnecessary. Essentially, when you eat meat, you're killing for pleasure in just the same way as this hunter did. No one needs to eat meat or animal products, so the only benefit to you is taste. Taste is nothing but a (albeit lower key) thrill.

Do you draw any moral distinction between choking a neighbour's cat to death and buying a steak?

• Options
    ninaballet wrote: »
    Although I don't agree in the slightest about the killing, I think the fact that everyone's getting so bothered about this specific lion is a bit weird. Someone posted on Facebook that 1 of the last 5 Northern White Rhinos had died, surely that's just as important?

But now it's bringing it to peoples attention, that it's not just Cecil that has been killed. If this one story can gain so much attention and get people talking and more aware, then thats a start.
  • Options

Do you draw any moral distinction between choking a neighbour's cat to death and buying a steak?

Not really. When you think about it, what even is the distinction? A steak is prepacked and you get it nicely presented in such a way that you usually don't even think about the animal that was slaughtered to feed you. As soon as you do, they really aren't that different; the animal ends up dead for your pleasure in both scenarios (assuming you killed the cat for kicks, which I assume is what you were implying). If you're against the killing of a lion in the wild then you need to really take a proper look at where your food comes from.
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »

Was it killed or did it die naturally though?

• Options
    Not really. When you think about it, what even is the distinction? A steak is prepacked and you get it nicely presented in such a way that you usually don't even think about the animal that was slaughtered to feed you. As soon as you do, they really aren't that different; the animal ends up dead for your pleasure in both scenarios (assuming you killed the cat for kicks, which I assume is what you were implying). If you're against the killing of a lion in the wild then you need to really take a proper look at where your food comes from.

What about a locally-sourced, organic, free range steak from a cow who was dispatched quickly and painlessly?
  • Options

What about a locally-sourced, organic, free range steak from a cow who was dispatched quickly and painlessly?

It's the act of killing that isn't humane, period. Yeah, it might be less barbaric than a factory farm, but whichever way you look at it, it's unnecessary (and still barbaric either way). As long as we're needlessly slaughtering animals for food, there is a massive injustice in the world. Animals shouldn't be treated in any way that humans wouldn't; if you put people in the places of animals on farms there would be outcry. You'd basically have Auschwitz.
  • Options
    You view meat eaters as proxy Nazi concentration camp guards? This might be a Godwin's Law record! :d
  • Options
    You view meat eaters as proxy Nazi concentration camp guards? This might be a Godwin's Law record! :d

Can you find me a difference other than the subjects not being people?
  • Options
    Can you find me a difference other than the subjects not being people?

Between a free range, organically-reared cow and a concentration camp prisoner? Or between an omnivore and a guard at Auschwitz?
  • Options
    Aah sorry - the concentration camp comparison was directed towards factory farms. Free range is a little different, but I still think it's wrong. Like I said, it's needless and the act is still inhumane whichever way you slice it.

I won't say anything else before I turn this in to a veggie vs meat eater debate, haha. Bottom line is that if you're eating meat then you don't really have logical grounds to be opposed to the killing of precious Cecil the lion.
  • Options
    I won't say anything else before I turn this in to a veggie vs meat eater debate, haha. .

Seems a bit late ;)