Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, just wondering if anyone can help. I'm suffering from depression and other mental health problems and therefore finding it really hard to make new friends. I'm 17 and have lost all my school friends due to being quiet , now I miss having people there for me and miss going out with people. I haven't made any new friends at college due to being distant and depressed and its making my mental state worse. If anyone has any ideas of how I could meet new people maybe in the same boat or if any of you have the same problem and have advice?

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Katie,

Can really sympathize with what you're going through, I had hit a really low point while at college, and became distant to those around me, but I gave up trying to make friends etc. And it does leave you feeling a lot more vulnerable when you don't really have anyone around. It's positive to see that you want to get out there, and look for a social group fitted for you.

I personally managed to start getting involved with people, etc. Even if we weren't the strongest group of friends through school clubs, we had all sorts of clubs in our sixthform, from chess, to basketball, I think I joined everything - I found the aspect of also being apart of a group really helped support me while I was at sixthform not only did it help with aspects of low mood, it really improved self esteem and confidence. Is there any clubs you would consider joining while at school?

Not sure how old you'll be when the next NCS is around, but if you are 17 and under, up to a challenge, out door activities etc. http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/ I found the NCS really got me closer to the community, getting involved with people, and I've still got the friends I made from it, we go for the occasional cuppa when were all out of Uni now :P - But would really recommend that if you had that option.

Also Youth Clubs are a really good one, are there any Youth Clubs you would feel up to going to that you're close to?

Do keep us updated on how you're getting on Katie and only take it at a pace you feel comfortable :heart:

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart