Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

OCD / sensory issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Urgh

Not sure what I'm expecting from this. Just wondering if anyone has experience of any of this:

I have Autism. As a result of this, I have sensory issues. For as long as I can remember, this includes issues with hand washing. This was not an issue as such until last week. I'd gone away with a friend and we'd met up with some of his friends. (who, with the exception of one, I'd never met) One of them does not do routine and somehow when being asked "is there anything they or I need to know?" I'd managed to completely miss the fact that I need routine / preditability and generally spent the whole festival pretending everything was fine, even though it quite clearly wasn't...

Anyway, it was quite clear on Sunday that something wasn't quite right and I was becoming rather frustrated because I had no idea what was hpppening, etc and my friend explained that one issue for me (we kind of discussed this at some point and I remember him saying I wouldn't get along with a former friend of his because of how unreliable he is) is the need for routine / needing to know what happens next.

Anyway, we packed up Monday, went home and I emailed him on Tuesday to say thank you for last week and the help he gave me. I then mentioned the only issue was the above.

I've discovered I got quite a few bites which really hasn't me at all. It means I've had to use Savlon, which I can't stand the feel of. I, in general, have issues with creams, lotions, etc and the way they feel.

My OCD has decided to rear it's ugly head again and I've got no idea what to do. I've got no idea why I'm writing this.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Melian :)

A friend of mine has Autism, and is very ritualistic, especially with mealtimes, and does always need to know the routine/what is happening next. The unexpected/stressful can affect him, and he is very sensitive to loud noises.

From what I have read, it sounds like you found the un-predicatable nature of the festival a little bit too challenging to deal with? You managed to tell your friends at the end that you did need routine - maybe the next time you do go to an event like that, your friends may be a little bit more sensitive your needs. yes.gif

I'm sorry to hear your OCD has started to stress you out, the bites sound really difficult to manage on top of that. Ive got a mozzie bite at the minute too - itches something rotten!!! :yuck: Having a heavy cream on you like Savlon can feel uncomfortable - perhaps you could try washing your bites with a bit of soap - I find that takes away some of the itch. You may also want to try taking an anti-inflammatory, which may reduce the redness and swelling - and hopefully make your bites less infuriating :yes:

In terms of managing your OCD - TheSite has an article on OCD which you might find helpful to have a look at?

I hope that helps you Melian *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks. :) My friend did explain that one of his friends is a farmer and because of the nature of his job, he can't exactly do routine. He did warn me about that.

Pretending everything was ok when it clearly wasn't, which my friend did eventaully work, really did not help me at all. :(

We talked last night and I'm rather gutted (and so is he) that I won't be going next year because of what happened. I seem to be ok now, finally.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Melian wrote: »
    Pretending everything was ok when it clearly wasn't, which my friend did eventaully work, really did not help me at all. :(

I can understand why you wanted to pretend everything's OK - it can be hard to assert your needs when they're different from other people's, especially if you're not completely comfortable with them yourself. But it sounds like your friends were able to understand more when you could explain?

I just wondered whether there's a way that you could take more control over the situation so that you could create your own routine at an event like that, even if it meant doing your own thing some of the time? For example, you could set some of your own bits of routine ("I'm going to do so-and-so at 4pm), then let people know, and they can join you if they'd like to ..