Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Thigh tattoo's and numbing cream

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm due to get my thigh tattoo next month, it'll be my first tattoo so I have no idea what the pain is going to be like. I was talking to a girl at work and she told me that it would be best to get numbing cream due to it being a relatively big tattoo that will take a long sitting and the fact that it's on my thigh.

I'm not too sure about using numbing cream because I've heard it's not effective a lot of the time and it could make it more awkward for the tattoo artist.

So, my main question is. How badly will a thigh tattoo hurt? and has anyone got experiences with using numbing cream?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IMO you should never use numbing cream (I'm a semi-heavily pierced and tattooed person and have friends who are heavily tattooed or are tattooists). Your pain levels are an indicator of the needle going too deep which can distort the tattoo and cause more pain later and longer healing, so the tattooist needs to know how much it hurts. Also, I think its part of the process of having a tattoo or a piercing, if you can't stand the pain then don't bother because its part of the journey!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    IMO you should never use numbing cream (I'm a semi-heavily pierced and tattooed person and have friends who are heavily tattooed or are tattooists). Your pain levels are an indicator of the needle going too deep which can distort the tattoo and cause more pain later and longer healing, so the tattooist needs to know how much it hurts. Also, I think its part of the process of having a tattoo or a piercing, if you can't stand the pain then don't bother because its part of the journey!

I had no intention of using numbing cream until it was brought up, I still don't really want to use it.

I'm just unsure of how painful the tattoo is going to be
    I don't think it'll be painful at all on your thigh but obviously I don't know that for certain. I've got one on my wrist which didn't hurt at all and I've got one on the back of my shoulder - that one did hurt a little bit but I wouldn't describe it as actual pain, it's just really instant. And I think that's just because it was right on top of my bone.

I don't think you should use numbing cream and I honestly don't think you'll really need it. And even if it did hurt a tiny bit at certain points, it's so, so worth it. I want pictures when you've had it! :d