Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Silencing my overactive brain

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
I've not slept properly for over 2 weeks. Not only am I struggling to sleep, I'm waking up two or three times in the night mid panic attack, now I can't get off to sleep because I'm scared of what will happen whilst I'm asleep.

I'm trying to do everything properly - reading before bed, doing calming pilates videos, I've been colouring, knitting, all quiet activities to try and induce restful sleep. I've been trying to do calming things and put aside what is happening in day to day life. Then I wake up having a panic attack and struggle to get back to sleep, then it happens again a few hours later. I remember the last few moments of what I was thinking about when I wake up and it's all really bizarre stuff.

Aside from drugging myself up (which I'm scared about doing when I have to drive the next morning) I honestly have no idea what to do. Is there something I haven't considered that might work?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Plugitin, I can see this is causing you so much stress and dispair right now and it looks like from what you said that you have tried everything there is.

Are you on medication at the moment? The reason why I ask is if you are on medication is wether you think it's working as it should?

You said you wake up three to four times a night and it happens a few hours later. Tell me, when you have these panic attacks is there anything in particular you been feeling worried about lately? I.e work, home life, friends or family? Do you think any of these is the case?

Do you think it would be a good idea to go back to see your GP? There maybe something they come up with to try and help your sleeping.

There's lots of information and advice on The Site wether you feel you that might help.

Please do keep in touch so we know how your doing.

Hugs

Crazy Cat x
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey CrazyCat,

I'm not taking anything at the moment - I was but I haven't taken it in a while.

I don't remember why I'm having the panic attack when I wake up, but the main thing I think about is being burgled / that there's someone in my room when I wake up. It's so ghastly and horrible :( I think it's been a really stressful few months and I've not thought much about how it might be quietly affecting me.

I need to see my GP, so I might lump that in when I next go. I did bite the bullet today and buy some over the counter pills for sleeping and reducing anxiety. I'm still just really worried that I'll be foggy in the morning but I'll be sure to take them early. I have some sleep tea too, now as well. I just want to sleep, that's all. Nothing big.

*hug*
    Hi Plugitin,

I think its a good idea as you mentioned about going to see the GP as they maybe able to recommend something for you.

Your GP maybe provide you with either medication or for you to consider counselling for you.

There's nothing wrong with buying over the counter herbals and remedies but please make sure you speak to the pharmacy first before you take it but it's always best to see your GP first.

Also I don't if you may find taking up running or cycling would be a good idea because it can improve self esteem and help with our confidence when need something to keep us focused at times.

You may find The Site has some advice on health and Well Being and that maybe something to have a look at.

Please don't worry about anything and just to try to relax in the mean time.

I'm here if you wanna talk x
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Kate,

Sending Hugs your way!! - I used to have a similar issue with panic attacks mid sleep, and I'm going to echo the GP route again, my GP had prescribed me Propanolol which slows down my heart rate, it's a Beta-blocker, therefore stopping my heart from going into struggling mode. Would that be something you might consider? Or?
    Thanks guys.

I wish I could still run CrazyCat but my hips are in such a state still :( I'm still very active though but thanks for that.

WOTH, it's definitely worth exploring I reckon. I don't really like the idea of taking medication for things and I'd rather they didn't happen but y'know.

I've realised I sleep like a baby at weekends when others are around, which is kind of good but also a bit annoying that I can only sleep well when others are around!
    The over-the-counter pills I bought have stopped working. Every night I manage to calm down enough and then I get into bed and start panicking again. I've been having fewer panic attacks in the night, but I'm still not back to where I was :(
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I've found with over-the-counter drugs I've taken, to aid sleep, etc. Ware off after 1-2 weeks - Panic attacks are awful especially if it's affecting yourself, what helps you when coping with panic attacks normally? I know going outside and getting some clean fresh air in helps me, I've also found that sticking a movie on in the background with the screen dimmed, while I go to sleep can help keep my focus on something else. This could also be the radio something you don't really need to focus on or some soothing music.

Do keep us updated on how things are going Kate *hug* - Here for you :heart:
    I haven't had a day time panic attack in a long while now. But when I have them, going outside for air helps and lying down - both of which are hard to do at night!

Saying about the music has reminded me how I used to listen to audiobooks whilst trying to get to sleep when I was younger. I might give that a go, it seemed to work quite well back then. I have also found loads more sleep teas in my flat so I'm hoping I like at least one of them - twinings stopped making the one that worked for me :(
    Thanks WOTH :heart:
    Hi Plugitin,

I justed wanted to check if things are better today? I hope your feeling a bit better.

I think keeping active is a really good idea. You seemed to before be really active and I think that might be good for you. It's a shame about the running but just doing gentle exercises at home might help.

Also you say other things are helping you which is good to here. You mentioned sleep teas? Is that again over counter stuff?

Its good that you have found ways of managing when you have an episode again. I would just say to not over do anything. You wanna get alot of rest and try and relax.

Maybe you could try listening to soothing music in bed. It seems you doing everything you can in the day and that's probably why you haven't had a panic attack because you know what now works for you but you could think about what might work for you at night.

I think The Site has lots of information and advice on Sleep/Panic Attacks. You might want to have a look.

In the mean time please keep reaching out x
    Hi lovely sorry you are having trouble sleeping, it's miserable laying in bed watching time crawl by, and panic attacks are scary so I do feel for you. Good idea about the audio books, I have lots of sleep aps on my phone, mainly with relaxation music or sounds like ocean waves, that might help too.

But you may find that you need to confront the reason you wake up, try keeping a diary of your feelings and address your fears of burglary. Would a night light help? Or leaving a hall light on?

It's ok to feel afraid, but you're doing the right thing, getting help & advice. Trying different courses of action. Don't give up, you will get through this,

One method that may help is to allow yourself a few minutes b4 bed to imagine your fears & worries as clouds being evaporate by the sun, watch them fade away. Or imagine writing them on a piece of paper then imagine tearing it up and dropping it in the river or sea, imagine the ink spreading and blurring before vanishing completely, then reassure yourself that you are safe, have a phone by the bed & a glass of water.

Lastly, my councillor got me to take the TV out of my bedroom, something to do with the energy it gives off! She said think of the bedroom as a safe haven, a place to rest and recharge. Let your mind gradually adjust to feeling happy and safe in your safe haven, if you wake up panicky sit up have a drink and focus on your breathing and feeling supported by the surface below you, distract yourself from the bad thoughts by playing a mind game like count backwards from 400 in 7''s or work through the alphabet thinking of fruits or cities or boys names for each letter of the alphabet. It just helps me to switch off & I hope it works for you.

Wishing you love, happiness and a peaceful nights sleep x