Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Working with sister/annual leave

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So me and my sister both work for a coffee shop chain in the same store as team leaders. Apart from us there is another team leader and one assistant manager and between the 4 of us we open and close the shop 7 days a week. Our manager refuses to do it. He has just told us that no two of any 4 of us can have holiday at the same time - obviously a problem for me and my sister for holidays and what about family occasions or (god forbid) a funeral?
There are also other problems with him that are driving both of us away. Luckily there has been a new store opened not far away and very busy. I know they dont have any vacancies at the moment but im thinking of talking to the manager (my old manager, get on very well with) and asking her to let me know when she has space. Not to toot my own horn but as an experienced staff member she would be happy to have me if she had the room.

My sister might do the same so we both might be denied the transfer in interest of staffing at the old store. And what if just me gets approved and I have to leave her there or visa versa? Our mum has said we cant just run away every time a bad manager comes along but this is now going to affect both our work/life balances as we go away alot together and are planning a big 2 weeks holiday next year. This has basically revoked our right to family life. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    One option would be for one of you to move to a different store? Might be better for both of you, get a bit more independence. I guess the challenge would be working out who.
  • Options
    I am thinking that this will be the best thing for both of us as we rarely even get the same day off now let alone be allowed holidays.

She is applying for another jobs at the moment whereas I'm content to stick around for abit longer albeit with hopefully a more supportive manager.

There's just the guilt thing if I go and leave her and the what do I do without her if she goes. If she leaves or transfers my transfer request may get denied