Homeโ€บ Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting โœจ

Fear of putting on weight. Need help.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm starting to get annoyed with myself now. I stayed at home all day today and even though I ate well during the day. I ordered a Chinese earlier which consisted of a soup, chicken/brocolli, rice, then had some fruit and yoghurt. And on the scales I go this evening and seen I was 1-2 pounds more than last night.

As usual, I'm getting upset and depressed about gaining weight according to the scales. And I want to stop obsessing over weight, I am realising that I now have a problem. And I have to go out drinking 2 nights in a row now which is even more pressure.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? My mind is now playing me up. :(

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Could you throw away the scales?

I know it's a drastic step, but this will force you to change your way of thinking and how you're behaving. For me, the scales were always alluring so I became fixed upon the numbers. When I moved back to uni without them, although it was scary at first it was ultimately a positive step because it meant I couldn't concentrate so much on my weight. An alternative would be to strictly only measure yourself every week / two weeks. You've done so well to lose the weight and now you're maintaining, there is no need to actively monitor your weight as you once needed to. You know you're doing all the right things, and that is enough.

Remember also some foods will take longer to digest, which is why you might see slightly different numbers at different times.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unfortunately I weighed myself just now. And I've put on a few lbs since yesterday. I feel like a disgrace! :(
    Wavy, weighing yourself every day isn't healthy because, believe it or not, weight DOES fluctuate on a day to day basis. Of course you're going to be "heavier" with food in your stomach! Fluid retention as well could also "put on pounds" but this isn't an accurate depiction of your weight. What I think you need to do is stop weighing yourself on scale and rather measure your waist with a measuring tape once a month. Please don't let this develop into a disorder as it's incredibly difficult to break out of it. Sending love and support x
    Thank you for your help Niet. I have learned it does fluctuate after losing a couple of pounds this morning.

It is becoming a huge problem and I can't help doing it. But I want to stop as it's affecting my life, all I keep thinking about is food and I am hungry a lot of the time. Even though I'm living mostly a healthy lifestyle, I always feel guilty if I eat anything unhealthy. I think it's because I don't really have anyone to tell me if I'm ok. My Mum did tell me I looked skinny but she even said that when I was overweight last year so I don't know how to think.

I do like your idea of measuring my waist once a month. It makes more sense than a number on some scales. I have looked at myself in the mirror and I am pretty happy with how I look in terms of my waist. Could always improve but could do a lot worse.
    Little update. Went out last night and had a few drinks. But I didn't weigh myself this morning, felt pretty good in terms of health but just a bit down in the head.

I think I just need to focus on my self confidence and intelligence, rather than my weight when it pertains to finding someone. I have a long way to go.
    Also treated myself to a Terrys Chocolate Orange bar just now, and I didn't care about it. Loved it and didn't feel bad.

My Mum also bought sweets for the whole family, and I said no to some chocolate buttons/maltesers. And she was nice about it, and said I didn't have to have any if I didn't want to. So it's just small progress at the moment.
    Small progress sounds good :)
    Hey guys

Just wanted to give a tiny update.

I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks until this morning and happy to say I lost a couple of pounds since. Surprised with this due to going out for a meal Wednesday and having a Chinese last night.

To be honest, I have felt a lot happier now that I don't weigh myself so regularly. And it's giving me a chance to enjoy food more now. Been also thinking nice abs aren't that important.

I've taken Neit's advice and used my jeans as an indicator on if I've put on weight or not. And there are a little bit bigger but nothing a belt can't sort out. ๐Ÿ˜Œ

So I think one weigh every 2 weeks is enough for me. And overall, very happy.
    Wavy wrote: ยป
    Hey guys

I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks until this morning and happy to say I lost a couple of pounds since. Surprised with this due to going out for a meal Wednesday and having a Chinese last night.

To be honest, I have felt a lot happier now that I don't weigh myself so regularly. And it's giving me a chance to enjoy food more now. Been also thinking nice abs aren't that important.

I've taken Neit's advice and used my jeans as an indicator on if I've put on weight or not. And there are a little bit bigger but nothing a belt can't sort out. ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Great news!
    Hey guys

Brilliant :)
    Hey guys

This is really positive wavy, good on you :)