Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why do I get anxious?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure what to say but sometimes I can be completely fine without having a worry in the whole wide world and other times I can completely over panic if the one slightest thing goes wrong. I don't know why that happens?

I know I've been worrying a lot lately from being at home, finding a job etc etc. Only, I don't know why I am worrying so much about all these things? This can happen nearly on a daily accourance which I find hard to bare and deal with.

This has been going on ever since I finished my 12 month scholarship where I was there for about a year learning new skills and experience in a hospitality environment for future employment but I do feel that Maybe this has played a slight part of why I am anxious now that I've got no job. I know already it was coming to an end and I've been there before and coped but either that I must really miss it or now that I haven't got a job it's making me more anxious.

Before you say it I've been to see a doctor about how I've been feeling and they said I had depression and eventhough the medication is working and there's been improvment but I feel that my anxiety is getting worse where I know the medication is suppose to stop that. I have been to see a counsellor before but was a thinking about going again and I also want to try and find things to do so not sure what's best?

Sorry for the long thread.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It could be that you're stressed (even subconsciously) which is what is bringing it on? It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

You could try and address this by working out what situations you are in when you feel the anxiety come on, and whether there are any similarities between situations?

Have you also tried deep breathing? I don't know what your background is and whether you have had any support for anxiety in the past, but if you learn a deep breathing technique this can help to ward off anxious feelings. When I had therapy, I was given this resource to help me learn the breathing technique (you want pages 3-5). In essence, you need to be breathing in with your stomach rather than your chest because the breaths are deeper and more moderated. I practised this every night before bed (not when anxious necessarily, just every night) so it becomes habit and when you start to feel anxious the breathing kicks in. For me it's really helped, so I don't know if it would for you!

Another thing you could try is progressive muscle relaxation where you take turns to tense and relax every muscle in your body starting at the top to the bottom. This is quite a useful technique to use in the moment when you're feeling really anxious.

I don't know whether any of this will help, but I hope it does!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there crazy cat :wave:

Ive seen you on the boards a few times now, and Im happy I get to finally say hello to you *hug* I think what your posts to other users are so supportive and friendly :yippe: I really like reading what you've written :yes:

Anxiety is a something that I think a lot of people deal with now and again, and as you mentioned, depending what's happening in your life (from job stress, to arguments with friends, or exam stress) you may notice anxious feelings overtaking you and starting to be more and more pronounced and problematic. Im really sorry you are feeling this way - it can very difficult trying to deal with on your own, so Im pleased to see that you are considering going to see a counsellor again. Talking about how you feel, really does act like a release as well as allowing you to try and uncover what it is that is making you feel so worried or upset - as well as finding out some techinques that may help to relieve the symptoms.

I've been told that writing down 1-3 things at the end of the day (positive things) before you go to sleep has been quite helpful in reversing the negative aspects of anxiety - such as 'I'm grateful to x for making me a cup of tea today, it was a really nice thing to do.' By re-focusing your mind on something good that happened to you during the day, it can sometimes help lessen the feelings of anxiety. You might want to have a read through the following article that has some good ways of dealing with anxiety - which you may want to have a go at

You might want to check out the following website, if you haven't already - it's a good resource, and one you might find helpful. It talks about Anxiety in lots of detail, and has some contact numbers, and a whole page and links dedicated to young people and anxiety

A lot of people find taking a walk can sometimes distract them from the feelings of anxiety, or perhaps going for a run, or playing sports. If you like to eat (like I do) then perhaps find some lovely recipes you want to cook - a lot of people who suffer from stress find cooking a relaxing hobby and helps them reduce their anxiety levels - because the task in hand is so absorbing. You could try some Camomile tea - its good for relaxing you, and it's good for you too :)

Hope this is useful - you're not alone feeling like this either - lots of people feel anxious for a number of different reasons. Let us know how you get on, and lots of luck with your job search - if you need any help with this, let me know, more than happy to give you hand if you need it :yes: x
    Hiya CrazyCat. :)

I have less than 0% faith in medication to cure emotional states, it may just be that you have real, logical reasons to feel stressed in which case adding chemicals to your brain won't help that much more than taking drugs, which is essentially the same thing. Chemicals to induce good feelings but one is prescribed so that's ok. It took me a very long time to recognise that I was suffering from problems related to just, well, living. You've got to be on your own, independent, sort yourself out, work to have money, work to have a home, work to be able to eat, know what you want to do in life, know what you're doing tomorrow, have a great social life, be respected among your peers, have money, find a partner who respects you, have children, build a family, be strong and supportive to your family, be ashamed if some or none of this comes naturally to you. Believe it or not but all of this stuff does not come naturally to we humans. I could be completely off the mark but if you feel even slightly overwhelmed by all of these things and feel like you shouldn't be, that might just be where the anxiety and stuff is coming from. Just throwing that out there! I hope you're alright really and find the solution you need. x
    Thank you everyone for your supportive and generosity comments. I really appreciate it, I mean it. Hugs x

I was reading all the advice given to me yesterday and I have to say everyone's made some sort of sense to how I've been feeling. There's nothing specifically what's made me feel anxious recently but as I said before it could a combination of things.

You have to go forward with this as you won't get anywhere so thinking about what's stressing me out and what I can do to improve it maybe be a step in the right direction and only things can improve for good.

There is a lot of advice so thank you very much! Again I will look through this carefully and think about what I should do to help me in the long term. I want to by all means come up with the best solutions for each one so dont think I won't take any of your advice because I will however I just need to have a think.

Hugs to you all x