Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

life after dismissal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you don't have a year continuous service and cannot prove anything that would constitute wrongful dismissal and have just decided to suck it up as life lesson......what do you put on future applications and how to deal with it in a professional manner? I plan to say contract end by mutual agreement but obviously cannot be sure they won't use word dismissed in a reference. I wasn't given any legitimate reason for dismissal just that they wished to manage things themselves. Now I'm fairly sure I know why, but won't go into it. Face just isn't fitting and no point whining. Have to move forward. Anyone got any good advice on what to say if I ever get another job interview?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would probably go with "end of contract" or something like that.
    Yeah, I have to put them down though. Just depressing as I know reference won't be a detailed one. I was never let go of a job in my life til this one. I just wish I hadn't taken it. I had a better paid option but liked this one more. It's very depressing just�� hard to find my mojo again.
    When Shelter sacked me for being depressed I just put "end of contract" on subsequent application forms. Never caused me a problem.
    Got a call last week with verbal job offer. This was to be followed by email but this hasnt come. Am I being paranoid that the dismissal could be the reason? I had been on a reserve list for this job and so they wouldn't have had it on for references? Feeling very paranoid now as while it's a different company and the work is in same sector. Somebody tell me i am just paranoid......though reading this back I don't think so. 😢
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi schat,

I'm sorry to hear you were dismissed from your previous job. Dismissal (particularly when there's no clear reason or possibly unfair grounds) can be a very painful thing to deal with and can bring up all sorts of feelings, such as anger, fear and frustration. It's totally normal to feel anxious about how it might affect your future career, not because it will but because our brains are trained to work in patterns. When something happens to us once, we fear it will happen again even if there's no reason it should.

Many people have gone through the same thing you have and gone on to find better, more fulfilling jobs with no problem. You don't always need to give full details for why a job came to an end, and using Arctic Roll's suggestion of putting "end of contract" should be fine. After all, the contract did come to an end - you just aren't putting the reason!

Well done for getting a new job offer so quickly. There could be all kinds of reasons why the email hasn't come through yet. Many businesses have lots of things to deal with all at once. It could be the person dealing with this is off sick or on holiday this week and that's why the email hasn't been sent. If it doesn't arrive by Monday, it's OK to send them a message to ask how things are going and when should you expect the confirmation. In any case, don't worry! If they've made you the offer, then things are very likely to be absolutely fine.

I hope everything works out OK and let us know how you get on

Sarah
    Thank you for your kind reply. The email did come but then today they started to reference me. They called to make sure the last five years accounted for. I just said I worked briefly with this company and it didn't work out and when she asked was it ok to contact them I said yes. I then contacted one of the members of the management com. She said it would be ok and wished me all the best. Now I have to wait and hope no harm comes. Never been so nervous in my life even though they have no reason to harm me. Fingers toes the lot crossed. 😟
    Hi schat,

As mentioned above you should always be open and honest when it comes to why your last job didn't work out on the work history section. Just like any other past history you need to provide on a application form.

You dont have to go right into depth to why your last job didn't work out but as long you put a brief description stating why the contract came to an end is the best way to go about it.

Its better to be honest so you they know your not hiding anything and if they wish to get in contact with you and discuss your application then that's up to them. There's nothing more you and say or do.

Please don't beat yourself up if the reference does come back as negative and they dont wish to employ you as you know every company is different and someone would wanna employ you.

Remember were here if you wanna talk x