Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scared to put on weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone help me please?

I keep getting myself scared of putting on weight and being obsessed with going on the scales. I put on 2 lbs over the weekend and even though I'm still healthy weight I get scared of eventually putting on the total weight I lost over the year.

I'm even scared of eating anything that's not healthy. My Mum keeps trying to get me to eat unhealthy things. She just bought me some maltesers and I'm getting myself stupid over having them.

She's been doing it a lot lately, because she thinks I'm 'too skinny' where I'm clearly not. I think she's purposely trying to get me to eat more unhealthy food so I can put on weight. She says to me that I don't have to eat it but it's in more of a negative tone.

I enjoy eating food and would love to eat 'normal food' but I want to look attractive, and being single makes it worse for me. Putting on pressure to lose/maintain weight and to look good.

I don't know if I even have Obesophobia or not, but does anyone have any suggestions that can help me overcome these fears?

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Wavy :wave:

Sounds like your struggling at the minute sorry to hear that :heart:

Do you think you could chat to your mum about you worries with food, she may ease up if she knew how it is affecting you? Do you have any support in place to support you with your food related problems?

We are here for you if you wanna chat *hug*

Sorry to hear you feel under pressure to look a certain way, doesn't sound very good for you. I know it sounds cheesy but it's whats inside what matters, everyone is beautiful in their own way.

:heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Remember that you can eat a bit more now that you're at your ideal weight and *maintaining* your weight, rather than losing more :heart:
  • Options
    Thank you for your help guys.

I may look for support somehow. I did meet up with a nutritionist a few weeks ago and her main points were:
    • I can afford to put on a couple of pounds (in regards to my BMI)
    • Need more protein in my breakfast, and more carbs in my lunch
    • Don't worry too much about calories and scales
    • Allow to treat yourself once a day

My problems I addressed to her were that I was always hungry and I was feeling colder during the evenings.

But I didn't mention to her that I don't want to get into old habits (of eating c**p) and putting back on the weight I lost (over 2 stone).

The most frustrating thing though is living at home because I think my Mum is secretly planning to make me put on weight. It's such a challenge to maintain a healthy diet where there are certain things I'm being made to eat.
  • Options
    Why not get involved in preparing main meals? That way you can still eat healthily and eat what you want not what other people want you to eat.
  • Options
    I prepare my own lunch, but not my own dinner as I live at home and my Mum likes to take over the kitchen. Unless I go out to eat on my own, or if my parents go out for the evening.

Though tonight my mum made me brown pasta with mince which was amazing. And I do my own desert which invloves fruit and greek yoghurt. So today I had an amazing food day.

I think it's a case of taking each day as it comes for me...being bank holiday yesterday my Mum kind of has these random junk food moods on special occasions.