Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Where to send spculative letters to?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm wanting to send speculative letters to certain companies around my area, but I'm unsure where to send them.

I'm interested in administration/data input jobs.

Any ideas?

I've emailed my CV/covering letter to 2 building societies, but they both emailed me back saying to look on their websites.

I've thought about sending my CV to solicitors, but I think they require law qualifications, but maybe some of it could involve data entry/input?

Comments

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi SpinTires. Speculative applications sounds like a good idea to help your job hunting, and I think many places are fine to accept them. I'm assuming this is alongside looking for jobs on websites etc? if that is the case, I'd suggest smaller companies are probably your best bet, as they probably won't have a big, online recruitment process, whereas banks, universities, big firms probably will.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but have you tried recruitment agencies or temp agencies? Many of my friends have done jobs of the type you describe through agencies. You may have already seen this but here and here are some good tips on using agencies.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Honestly, speculative letters are increasingly likely to just get filed in the bin these days. Even smaller companies will have proper recruitment processes, although some very small companies may well respond to speculative letters.

If you're interested in data entry jobs, most of these tend to be shipped out to temping agencies now. You might want to get in touch with a few of those with your CV, to see what work they might have available.
    Cat88

Yes I'm applying for jobs on every website imaginable!

It isn't a stupid question. I may have registered with a few recruitment agencies, but I think they're a waste of time since I'm not looking for temporary jobs. I may consider it again and I'll get in touch with some agencies tomorrow. Thank you for the links.

After I created this thread, I looked on Yell for some solicitors, and I have posted/emailed ten!

I saw an advisor (who works partly for National Careers Service) today saying that my CV is good, but I don't have any experience in Admin other than my NVQ2 qualification and work experience I did in 2003.

He mentioned that I could try doing some volunteering and has given me a link to a website (do-it.org) and I have registered with them. I've registered my interest in 3 admin vacancies at the moment and I'm hoping to find more.
    I've registered my interest with 5 organisations and one has got back to me (saying that there's no work at the moment). Hopefully the others will get in touch. **fingers crossed**