Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

powerful and inspiring Ted Talk about depression and selfharm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I watched this the other day and found it powerful and inspirational. He talks about his own struggles with depression and self harm (not common to hear from a guy) but he also talks about how he overcame self harm...how he recovered.

I thought others might find it as helpful as i did...i think this should be watched by everyone - those who've been down this path and those who may not understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G17iMOw0ar8

Comments

• Options
    thank u morose - i loved this talk...i cried -- but in a good way...the words he spoke resonated with me...wow...there are ppl who get it...and recovery is possible...this is just what i needed tonight - thank you for sharing this with everyone...i totally agree with u - EVERYONE needs to watch this...if I plan to share this with everyone i know...thx again what a powerful, powerful speech.....wow...xo to those like me who currently struggle and xo to those who have been down this road and who have recovered...u ppl are my inspiration xo
  • Options
    thx mimingallthetime...i wish u all the best as u work to recover too -- I'm working on it...I see progress...and in that, I think it's possible :)
  • Options
    Hi morose79, nice to meet u.

You are right. I hope everyone who has suffered from Depression or Anxiety can watch this and learn from other people's experiences. I think this would very useful to know about wether we suffer from it or someone we know does.

Can I ask u morose79 wether u suffer from either Depression or Anxiety and if so how did u find the programme?

Well Done for posting this thread and I hope the word gets spread around.

Hugs x
  • Options
    Thanks very much, CrazyCat. I have mostly suffered from depression. Some anxiety but mostly depression. I'm not sure what programme you mean (sorry!).

I also think that word needs to get around...we should spread this video to other sites, Facebook, Twitter, etc....i just wish more people would do these types of talks...i feel there's so much power from hearing about others who have been down this road and who have gotten out of it.

hugs to you too - xo
  • Options
    Just moving this over into the Health and Wellbeing forum. Thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    Didn't u have that link u shared monrose79? That's what I ment about the programme u put to share on here.

Im sorry to hear ur going through the same experience. Though I do think ur doing a good job by putting this message across and it shows no matter what illness u have that ur not on ur own and u can get through this.

I dont think anyone on The Site has done any of awarness talks on here but I agree two that there should be more awarness out there so people can understand what makes them have the illness in the first place in order for employers, schools, communities and the population know a lot more about mental illness.

That could be part of who's ruling in todays country for the message to get across as it should. There is awarness still out there but as u said people have given up cuz it's not gone anywhere but u need to fight in order to get heard and if there was more of these talks and knowledge about mental illness then people wouldn't get judged so easily.

Hopefully things can start to change and as there's more awarness out there.

Would u be interested in politics and getting involved with debating groups?
  • Options
    oh sorry, crazy cat...when u said program I was thinking like a treatment program for anxiety or depression, not the video. my mistake. I agree that messages like this can be helpful - to know that it can get better. I think that's what we're all working at.

I'll share other videos like this one if I can find them. I saw some other good Ted Talks. Here's one by a comedian who battles depression that is quite good. Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3yqXeLJ0Kg

I might be interested in politics or debates - depends I guess (I'm not sure I'm the best debater though lol) ;)

Thx again for your message :)
  • Options
    Yh I think getting the message across about mental health would be a good thing so everyone knows a bit more about it.

You said documentaries, talks and groups. There is proberly awarness going out already only the message doesn't seem to get across Cleary or accuratly. That's why for u to spread the word and get more people to understand would be a good thing.

I do think debates or politics would be something u could try? Why would u say u wouldn't be any good? That's not true lol.

I'm here if u wanna talk x
  • Options
    thx crazycat - i think just wouldn't be a good debater bc I'm not good w conflict or asserting myself lol. maybe i should try some time though.

thx for your message and offer to talk - ill let u know if i need to chat sometime :)