Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A Fresh Start for Chat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Over the last few days we have been listening, discussing and planning all things chat. We're now ready to let you know what will change when we re-open on Tuesday next week.

We wanted to give you all the Easter Break to let it sink in and we look forward to a fresh start for everyone.

So - what's new?

1. Timing

Support Chat and General Chat will now run in parallel - both chats will run from 8-9.30pm.

Why? To encourage you to make a choice - what are you looking for, focused support or fun and distraction? Choose the right chat for you and stick to it. We'll actively discourage multiple switching between rooms. One switch is fine.

This timing also means that when SC closes the dynamic in GC isn't suddenly disrupted. Please also remember that GC is for light topics, fun and positive distraction.

2. Opening and Closing Rounds will be included in all Support Chats

8-8.15 Opening Round
8.15-9.15 Power Hour of Peer Support
9.15-9.30 Closing Round

Why?

The opening round is a question led by the mods to allow everyone to 'land' in chat, to help include everyone in the room and to get people on the same page before we start supporting each other. Chat works best when you're all working as a team. When you opt in to chat you opt into that team and this opening part brings everyone together :yes:

The Power Hour is over to you. This is your space to work together and support each other. We'll chip in where needed and we'll help quieter members join in when we can.

The closing round is a chance to unwind so that everyone feels grounded and safe. This will be a question led by the mods.

In time, you'll all have the opportunity to help out with opening and closing rounds just like you do the countdown :thumb:

3. More Support Circles

We will work towards putting on a Support Circle chat every month for a small group.

Why? The busy chats can be hard, especially for the less confident among you, to get your voices heard. These chats are a chance to get support in a small group of no more than 12 people and will be sign-up only.

The next Support Circle will be in May and the longer term aim will be to have these happening on a fortnightly basis once we build up volunteer capacity.

4. Monthly debate/politics chat

We'll run a monthly chat for debate and politics.

Why? We know lots of you enjoy these more in depth discussions but that they can be a little alienating in General Chat and sometimes bring heavier topics to what should be a light-hearted space.

We hope to bring more themed chats to the schedule in future too :yes:

5. Three breaks per year

From now on there will be three scheduled, 1-week breaks per year at Easter, Summer and Christmas.

Why? We think this break has been really productive. It's good practice for us all to have ongoing review and space for your feedback and a break is the best way to do this :thumb:

That's it for now!

We really appreciate all the feedback you have shared and we hope that these changes will address a lot of the issues that have been raised.

More than anything we hope that everyone has found the break useful and that we can all have a great fresh start next week :hyper:

Comments

• Options
    I'm so excited that you've decided to apply the opening and closing rounds to every support chat! And I can't wait to see what the new debate/politics chat is like :hyper:

I adore all of the new rules etc. but just out of interest, do you know when the break around christmas will be? I think the majority of us tend to struggle the most around that time of year so when that break actually does arrive in the month, I reckon there might be some controversy from some members. It would be good if we were aware of the estimated week or dates, so that we can prepare for it properly from now until then :)
  • Options
    I'm so excited that you've decided to apply the opening and closing rounds to every support chat! And I can't wait to see what the new debate/politics chat is like :hyper:

I adore all of the new rules etc. but just out of interest, do you know when the break around christmas will be? I think the majority of us tend to struggle the most around that time of year so when that break actually does arrive in the month, I reckon there might be some controversy from some members. It would be good if we were aware of the estimated week or dates, so that we can prepare for it properly from now until then :)

Agree with all of this. Looking forward to seeing how it all works :)
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    1. Timing

Support Chat and General Chat will now run in parallel - both chats will run from 8-9.30pm.

Why? To encourage you to make a choice - what are you looking for, focused support or fun and distraction? Choose the right chat for you and stick to it. We'll actively discourage multiple switching between rooms. One switch is fine.

This timing also means that when SC closes the dynamic in GC isn't suddenly disrupted. Please also remember that GC is for light topics, fun and positive distraction.

Say if we start off in support chat, but the subject being spoken about is triggering for us and instead of staying in the room and just taking a break we decide to go into General Chat, are we able to come back into support chat after when the subject has changed or we feel we can handle it better and to talk about the stuff we need to, or not because it'll be more than one switch?
  • Options
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Say if we start off in support chat, but the subject being spoken about is triggering for us and instead of staying in the room and just taking a break we decide to go into General Chat, are we able to come back into support chat after when the subject has changed or we feel we can handle it better and to talk about the stuff we need to, or not because it'll be more than one switch?

That's fine Hiccup :) Sounds like a really good idea.
  • Options
    do you know when the break around christmas will be? I think the majority of us tend to struggle the most around that time of year so when that break actually does arrive in the month, I reckon there might be some controversy from some members. It would be good if we were aware of the estimated week or dates, so that we can prepare for it properly from now until then :)

Good point butterfly, we'll have a think about the dates and let you know :)
  • Options
    We going to stick to this now then

Question BTW Jo does that mean GC be closing the same time as sc u need make that a bit clear
  • Options
    angel wrote: »
    We going to stick to this now then

Question BTW Jo does that mean GC be closing the same time as sc u need make that a bit clear

Yes, both chats will run from 8-9.30pm :)
  • Options
    Jo does that include when sc closes GC close

Another thing by doing smaller groups bit silly it be first serve, thats not going to fair on other people or u going make sure other people getting a chance too
  • Options
    angel wrote: »
    Jo does that include when sc closes GC close

Another thing by doing smaller groups bit silly it be first serve, thats not going to fair on other people or u going make sure other people getting a chance too

It'll be a regular thing though so I'm assuming everyone has the opportunity to sign up and then if they don't get into one, they'll more than likely have a chance to get into the next one
  • Options
    Yes GC and SC will close at the same time angel :)

And Hiccup's right, as it's a regular thing if places fill up we can make sure people get first dibs on the next one and so on.. don't worry, we'll make sure everyone that wants to, gets the chance to go.
  • Options
  • Options
    Agree with butterfly about Christmas and easter one...i know there often times when people need the support so knowing dates etc on advance will help! Also with the support circle chats can you make sure there not always on the same day? Cause it means people can't always come. Also sad gc will close at 9:30 means I'll be in chat even less as I'm often working till 9:30 :( but the changes sound like good things and hopefully will help.
  • Options
    These sound great. :) Looking forward to the regime change, sounds like smoother running all round!
  • Options
    Hi Joe, I like how there are new changes what will be put in place soon. I do think its a good idea that ur allowing those who may not wanna talk in a big group can sign up to other groups everyone month what will be held by an expert including Depression, Anxiety, Stress and Relationships.

The questions I wanted to ask is, I know u have a live chat on Relationships already with Support Chat and General Chat but when does Relationship Chat open on there? Interested because I would like to be involved in that and I know from the message boards a lot of people ask for advice on the topic so wanted to find out when Relationship Chat opens? Also I dont know if u and the other mods thought about starting up a Stress Free Chat because I know other sites like urself do a free Stress Free chat and thought it may work for u two. Its only a idea thats all. I sometimes on Chat alot of people can talk about something they have on their mind and others try and help but dont know how to then chat gets confusing with everyone feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

I also thought it was a good idea that u put another chat group alongside those it being Politics. There are also people on here who like to talk about it and will be interesting to hear. Everything involving about The Election is a good time to talk about it.

Would look forward to seeing the new changes :)

CrazyCat x
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    All sounds good. :heart:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    1. Timing

It's great to see that support and general will run parallel to one and another, rather than see everyone rush into general as soon as support was over. Me being on of them. However, I often find that I go into asking for support, when and if I need it, by starting off with a general chat in support chat, it's often one of my coping things, having that aspect of not feeling alone (Because others are discussing issues) but also knowing I can engage in general banter and not have it solely focused on support alone, because I would generally feel rather uncomfortable if we were in an environment where everyone was discussing issues, even if real life, we have the differ between general and rants.
    2. Opening and closing rounds

I love this idea!!! I like the aspect of a closing round comparison to an opening round though :chin: The early 15 minutes tends to be the quiet moment in chat, where it's just easier to ask for support, and actually be heard, before chat starts getting busier and more intense.
    3. More support circles

Have to agree with Rosebud on this, despite having no life what so ever and being that 'typical students' it can often be difficult to attend these chats due to it being mostly Tuesdays as its the active day for more students, when soc's and socials are on. So would be great to see more of a wide spread of days when it comes to these chats.
    4. Monthly debate and politics chat

Love this!!! Would be great to get other things going on to though, on the similar lines obviously.
    5. Three breaks per year

I was talking to Butterfly about this and had mentioned that it looks like you've gone for times that are often more difficult for people, for example Christmas, it's difficult approaching a new year, and often when it comes to the Holidays, I tend to have the aspect of feeling more alone and vulnerable, less so during the week, but again, I guess it would vary on dates you actually choose, and where about in the Holidays you go for. But it's reassuring knowing we have the message boards here if needed. :heart:

Can't wait to see these implications added to chat, I do hope chat starts to run a lot smoother than it has been, despite me being the one causing most of the drama, MOST of the time, haha!!! :heart:
  • Options
    I like the aspect of a closing round comparison to an opening round though :chin: The early 15 minutes tends to be the quiet moment in chat, where it's just easier to ask for support, and actually be heard, before chat starts getting busier and more intense.

I disagree - I think the opening round tends to settle everyone in and ease people into the thought of even attempting to open up about something.
  • Options
    I disagree - I think the opening round tends to settle everyone in and ease people into the thought of even attempting to open up about something.

I guess that varies on person to person. I expected people to disagree with me on that matter and I'm aware that people prefer the opening round, despite liking the opening and closing aspect, I often find it easier opening up in the first 15 minutes and getting more support, than having a battle to get support, and getting ignored when chat becomes an awful lot busier. But I thought I'd share my views either way.
  • Options
    I guess that varies on person to person. I expected people to disagree with me on that matter and I'm aware that people prefer the opening round, despite liking the opening and closing aspect, I often find it easier opening up in the first 15 minutes and getting more support, than having a battle to get support, and getting ignored when chat becomes an awful lot busier. But I thought I'd share my views either way.

I agree with this, it's a lot easier to get support when there's a smaller amount of people in there because you're more likely to get heard than when it gets busier.
  • Options
    That's where the "repeat if your comment is missed" comes into chat though - as long as we all agree to help each other out as and where we can, it should be fine. I tend to realise that a lot of people stick to wanting/giving support from/to the people who they know away from the boards too, and I admit I've been someone to do that at times, but chat works so much better when everyone tries with everyone and that way things won't get missed as much, either.
  • Options
    Having more reach for support when the room is quiet is kind of inevitable. Furthermore, it is a little unrealistic to expect the room to always respond to you. Sometimes it's busy, sometimes people slip through the cracks, sometimes comments aren't responded to. I think part of being in a group support environment is accepting just that. Of course support circles combat that very well, though. :) Nice to see more of them!

Personally, I quite like the opening round. It's very inclusive and seems to bring the room together nicely. Both that and the closing round are pretty good for starting and finishing sessions on good notes too which I really like.
  • Options
    I doubt anyone expects the room to 'always' respond to you. Most long standing members know that things do get missed, ignored etc. But it's a pain 'repeating' comments solely down to the fear of it being ignored, therefore leading you to feeling shittier, and introducing rounds like the intro and exit, won't stop the massive dramas in the 'Power hour' if any. I guess were just going to have to agree to disagree on this point MikeS and Butterfly.
  • Options
    A lot of members do expect the group, or someone in the group, to always reply - that's why they often talk about how they feel ignored. You have to give people a chance to answer, and if nobody does, repeat your comment. If someone doesn't want to do that then it's their choice - the group can't be blamed for that, or for ignoring a member if said member doesn't want to give it another chance.

However, agreeing to disagree sounds like a good idea - people's opinions are bound to differ sometimes and that's okay. At the end of the day, the moderators do know what they're doing.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    CrazyCat wrote: »
    The questions I wanted to ask is, I know u have a live chat on Relationships already with Support Chat and General Chat but when does Relationship Chat open on there? Interested because I would like to be involved in that and I know from the message boards a lot of people ask for advice on the topic so wanted to find out when Relationship Chat opens? Also I dont know if u and the other mods thought about starting up a Stress Free Chat because I know other sites like urself do a free Stress Free chat and thought it may work for u two. Its only a idea thats all. I sometimes on Chat alot of people can talk about something they have on their mind and others try and help but dont know how to then chat gets confusing with everyone feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

Hey CrazyCat,

Relationships chats happen roughly once a month. At the moment, the dates change depending on the availability of the advisors who run them. We usually put up a thread announcing the next one a week before it happens, so keep an eye on the Live Chat Announcements thread :)

Can you tell us a little more about the idea of a stress-free chat? Is that like general chat where there's a more relaxed, fun kind of atmosphere?

It's great to see that support and general will run parallel to one and another, rather than see everyone rush into general as soon as support was over. Me being on of them. However, I often find that I go into asking for support, when and if I need it, by starting off with a general chat in support chat, it's often one of my coping things, having that aspect of not feeling alone (Because others are discussing issues) but also knowing I can engage in general banter and not have it solely focused on support alone, because I would generally feel rather uncomfortable if we were in an environment where everyone was discussing issues, even if real life, we have the differ between general and rants. [...]

Have to agree with Rosebud on this, despite having no life what so ever and being that 'typical students' it can often be difficult to attend these chats due to it being mostly Tuesdays as its the active day for more students, when soc's and socials are on. So would be great to see more of a wide spread of days when it comes to these chats. [...]

I was talking to Butterfly about this and had mentioned that it looks like you've gone for times that are often more difficult for people, for example Christmas, it's difficult approaching a new year, and often when it comes to the Holidays, I tend to have the aspect of feeling more alone and vulnerable, less so during the week, but again, I guess it would vary on dates you actually choose, and where about in the Holidays you go for. But it's reassuring knowing we have the message boards here if needed. :heart:

Hey Whispers,

Seems like you raised 3 points here. First of all, I hear what you're saying about needing to settle into a room first before asking for support. That makes a lot of sense :) While we won't prohibit some general chatter in SC, the main reason we want people to decide what they're looking for and choose a room accordingly is to keep both rooms a bit more focused (e.g. people often feel frustrated if their comments are missed in a busy SC while people seem to be having a GC conversation). But of course, your point is a really good one, which is the reason we'll have an opening round. The idea of the opening round is to help everyone get settled into the room and feel comfortable before the hour of support starts. Of course, it's also possible to join GC for a few mins, then switch to SC if that would help too. Though of course, we'd like people to avoid switching too much. Once is fine, 4 times is too many.

Good point about always having support circle on the same day (you too rosebud). We'll have to have a think about this.

Finally, the chat breaks. We do realise that those 3 times of year can often be tough periods for people. We'll make sure we pick our dates carefully and make sure we let you all know as far in advance as possible :)

A quick point around the opening and closing rounds. Butterfly, Whispers and Mike - I can understand where you're all coming from, and they are all valid points :) I think our hope is that an opening round will help make everyone feel a bit more part of a team and really take notice of who else is in the room. With a bit of practice, that would hopefully mean that everyone looks out for everyone else a little more and fewer people fall through the gaps. That's the theory anyway.
  • Options
    James wrote: »
    While we won't prohibit some general chatter in SC, the main reason we want people to decide what they're looking for and choose a room accordingly is to keep both rooms a bit more focused (e.g. people often feel frustrated if their comments are missed in a busy SC while people seem to be having a GC conversation.

I disagree with this. I think general chat is vital in support chat and shouldn't be limited as long as it's part of a conversation. I don't think people should be made to feel like they are doing the wrong thing or making the room 'unfocussed' by talking about more light hearted things. It's natural after all - often if we have a serious of upsetting conversation in person we tend to try and end on a positive note, or to cheer people up with fun comments.

Yes general chat shouldn't have support topics in, but I don't think the same should apply vice versa.

Again, I think the problem lies with people becoming irate when there comments are missed. It isn't anyone's fault - it's just what happens. Chat is too busy for everyone to bring stuff to the table, sometimes there is more urgent stuff that people are already engaged in conversation about and sometimes the person wanting a response goes about it in the wrong way.
  • Options
    Again, I think the problem lies with people becoming irate when there comments are missed. It isn't anyone's fault - it's just what happens. Chat is too busy for everyone to bring stuff to the table, sometimes there is more urgent stuff that people are already engaged in conversation about and sometimes the person wanting a response goes about it in the wrong way.

:yes:

Personally, I would quite like to see something in the guidelines about this. If people don't have realistic expectations of chat then it makes everything ten times harder. As Butterfly said as well, people choose who they interact with at the end of the day.
  • Options
    *their.

Can't even edit to correct d'oh
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I disagree with this. I think general chat is vital in support chat and shouldn't be limited as long as it's part of a conversation. I don't think people should be made to feel like they are doing the wrong thing or making the room 'unfocussed' by talking about more light hearted things. It's natural after all - often if we have a serious of upsetting conversation in person we tend to try and end on a positive note, or to cheer people up with fun comments.

Yes general chat shouldn't have support topics in, but I don't think the same should apply vice versa.

Think that's a really valid point yellow. As with most of these things, it feels like there's a balance to strike. I think Mike hit the nail on the head by talking about expectations:
    MikeS wrote: »
    If people don't have realistic expectations of chat then it makes everything ten times harder.

I agree that some general chat shouldn't be limited when it's a natural part of the conversation, so can happen in SC. The key thing here is deciding what you're looking for when choosing a room and knowing what to expect from that space. That's one of the reasons for making GC and SC run at the same time: providing a clear choice. So some general chatter in SC is absolutely fine (and can help lighten the mood as you say), but if someone's main purpose for being in chat is to have a GC-style conversation, then GC is better suited for that. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    i cant get in
  • Options
    Question for mod.... you know with the new structure, I guess it's less acceptable to come in near the end of chat such as 9pm as you'd only have 15 mins of 'power hour' left? Just wondering cause on a few nights I only get back then and don't want to come in a disrupt chat.