Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need some help and advice please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a 33 year old physically disabled woman who needs help with most things. I live at home with my parents who are very over protective of me. I have no brothers and sisters, and not many friends. The thing is I met this wonderful guy online 5 years ago and we get on like a house on fire. Mum and dad don't approve of him, I try and tell them how I feel about this guy and they just get angry with me. I've met this guy in secret a few times with a friend, he's soooooooo lovely and I know he's the one for me. He even came to my house once to talk to mum and dad to try and make them realise we are in love and want to be together, but it did no good at all, they never mention him or anything. I really don't know what to do anymore, it feels like cos i'm disabled i'm not allowed to have a relationship like other people. This guy means everything to me, and i'm scared of loosing him. He's very understanding and supportive of me. Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Misspawnsclaws

I'm sorry with how you're feeling, it sounds like a rough situation. It sounds like you might be quite lonely because you have no siblings and few friends so that can be very difficult on people. The guy you met sounds like a great guy. Can you tell us more about him?

It seems really hard that your parents won't allow you to be with someone who you really care for. Also, it sounds like your parents are scared for what might happen if you did get together with that guy. You wrote how you have had conversations with your parents about it and have they ever told you why they feel that way?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi thanks for your reply, yes i do get very lonely.

My boyfriend is 6 years older than me and lives in Yorkshire, i live in the midlands. He comes down on the train to see me. I've no idea why my parents react the way they do when i mention him. They aren't interested in getting to know him :(
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi misspawsnclaws

I'm sorry that your caught i a difficult situation at the moment. It must be hard to be looked after by your parents, but then want to do something that's different to what they want for you.

It sounds like your parents are worried about what you being with this guy could mean - it's tough if they aren't able to tell you why they are worried.

The most likely reason that they're over protective of you is that they really love you and want to make sure that you're OK. But it sounds like they're going about making you happy the wrong way at the moment.

It's worth considering that they might be worried about what they might lose if you and this guy were to be together (sometimes these worries can be deeper things that people aren't aware of, but can still drive the things that they do). Maybe they're partly worried about losing you? If so, it might be helpful to reassure them that they would still be a big part of your life whatever happens with this guy.

It sounds like this is really important to you. Have you made it really clear to your parents how important this is to you, and how unhappy this is making you?