Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Has my teacher messed up my chance at going to university?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in 6th form and I'm doing BTEC Level 3 Applied Science.
My teacher has decided he's only going to do the pass stuff in class and has said we need to do the merit and distinction in our own time. Everyone in our class had no clue that we had to do this?
So basically I'm working on an E.. And my uni course wants for BTEC Level 3: DMM.

So basically he's fucked up my chances of getting into uni already. I can't do all that work in my own time, I have other shit to fucking deal with AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :banghead: I'm so stressed.

Can someone give me some advice?:(
Can he actually do this? Or should it have been done in classtime?
I'm so confused and I actually feel like screaming or crying. It's awful.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hey Charlee :)

Has he given a reason for refusing to teach stuff? I had this happen but it was due to my teacher being ill and school being useless at providing us with a cover, so although it was really annoying and difficult we accepted it needed doing.

If he hasn't given a proper reason then I'm pretty sure that's not on and you need to go to Head of Department/Head of Year/someone else. Is there another teacher, or even him who could give you lunchtime sessions? Again, it's not ideal I know but if there is a valid reason as to why it can't be done in class then it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    Hey Nina,

He hasn't given us a reason at all, he's always in so it's not to do with illness. I went to see my head of year at lunch yesterday and she's emailed the head of science to see what's going on... Apparently we have to do the work online, by ourselves with no help from him.
    So yeaaah... Slightly pissed off :)
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Charlee wrote: »
    Hey Nina,

He hasn't given us a reason at all, he's always in so it's not to do with illness. I went to see my head of year at lunch yesterday and she's emailed the head of science to see what's going on... Apparently we have to do the work online, by ourselves with no help from him.
    So yeaaah... Slightly pissed off :)

Our Law teacher did the same, we focused on all the 'Pass' things, because obviously, he wanted every student to get the grade to at least past, and then we focused on merit and distinction in our own time. Despite only covering pass things, quite a few students got D*, like me!! - Might be worth talking to your teacher, and getting him to make a time slot for you to get him to help you with your work :heart:
  • Options
    Hey people,
    thanks for the suggestions! I spoke to my head of year and she's emailed the head of science but I've heard nothing back tbh.. So it's not been sorted at all. It's all just shit. And to top everything off I'm ill -.- Fuck sake
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Charlee,
    This isn't ideal at all, and I do really feel for you having it thrown at you without a proper explanation.

However, what I would say is that when you get to uni, it's pretty much you on your own - full stop. So, in some ways, if you are able to get through this bit doing the distinction on your own steam, then it's the best preparation you could have for going into a new world that relies heavily on self-motivation and doing something not because your teachers want you to, but because you really want it for yourself. Does that make sense?

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill, that will definitely be having a big impact on how you're feeling about all of this. *hug*
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Whowhere wrote: »
    When I did a BTEC the lecturer taught us enough to pass. In order to qualify for a higher grade you need to do work in your own time. That was only a few years ago so I thought it was pretty standard even now.

This. They did the same with us. I think it's just a typical BTEC thing, you have to put the effort in, to actually get the higher grades.
  • Options
    ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    Hi there,

I actually did a Level 3 BTEC course at college and my teachers did exactly the same! Their main argument for this is that if you are planning on going to university, they cannot do all your work for you. They told us they will teach us everything that is needed to pass but if we really want the better grades we have to work for them. It was kinda true when they said that. It really separated those who were just at college for the fun of it, and those who were desperate to go to university and extend their education. Like I said it's the norm in most colleges and sixth forms only teach the pass criteria.

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.