Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

One Year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A year ago today my dad lost his life, He battled cancer since I was 6. Things haven't been the same since, I need him more than ever, I'm getting married and he won't be walking me down the isle, Things aren't the same, 365 days later you'd think I'd be over this by now...I need him.

Comments

• Options
    7 and a bit years later and I'm not over it. It has gotten easier, but you will never be 'over it'.

Special occasions may often have a few negative feelings like this attached to them - anniversaries, dates where you wish they could be there. You will always need him and he will always be there - just as a remembered presence rather than an actual physical presence.

*hugs*
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're missing your dad right now. I think when someone close to us dies it's something we ever really "get over". There will be times when the feeling of grief fades away and you can live life fairly normally but special occasions like family celebrations or anniversaries can definitely trigger those feelings of loss, especially when you think about how nice it would have been to have them there with you.

Do you have any family members you can share your feelings with? Sometimes reminiscing about a loved one with others they were close to can be really comforting. Have you considered any kind of grief counselling at all? Talking to a stranger can sometimes be easier too.

Your dad may not be with you any more but you can definitely honour him and keep his memory alive. Some brides like to carry an item of a passed loved one or get a piece of their clothing stitched into their dress to keep them close and involved in the celebration or perhaps you could read a little speech or poem dedicated to him to show you are still thinking of him?
  • Options
    I want to die.
  • Options
    :(

I don't think anyone will ever expect you to "get over it". My mum's dad died just over a year. I know that when things like the anniversary of his death came up, she was rather tearful.

I'm not over Granddad's death and don't think I ever will be.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    7 and a bit years later and I'm not over it. It has gotten easier, but you will never be 'over it'.

Special occasions may often have a few negative feelings like this attached to them - anniversaries, dates where you wish they could be there. You will always need him and he will always be there - just as a remembered presence rather than an actual physical presence.

*hugs*

I completely agree with this, Purple_roo has worded it perfectly.

As I've said to you before, Em, your dad was so proud of you, hold onto that pride.
  • Options
    How are you doing today Em?