Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

First time voters: are you registered to vote?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On may 7th, there will be a general election. If you are 18 or over, you will be able to vote for somebody to represent you in Parliament.

For information about registering to vote, go to About My Vote.

Are you registered to vote? Will you vote in the general election?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes and yes but I've just realised that I may have just moved so I'm not sure what if anything I can do about that?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Yes and yes but I've just realised that I may have just moved so I'm not sure what if anything I can do about that?

You will probably have to register again. On the form you need to provide your name, address, national insurance number and date of birth.

I suggest you visit the website of your local council. You may be able to get to the right section quickly by putting /elections at the end of the URL. There may even be an option to send an email to a local council address that exists for the purpose of helping people to register to vote.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    5 reasons to register to vote

We have a video on our YouTube called "5 reasons to register to vote".

These include:
    • Even if you don't care about political parties or politicians, you probably do care about the things they make decisions about (schools, NHS, taxes etc)
    • If you don't feel represented, not voting doesn't show that to anyone. If you go to a polling station and spoil your ballot, then they will know. You can write none of the above, or write/draw whatever you want (as rude as you like!).
    • Political parties like getting into/staying into power. So they tend to make policies that benefit people who will vote for them. If we want politicians to consider the needs of young people, then they will need to see young people voting.

What do you think. Do you have other reasons to vote? Do you have better reasons not to vote?