Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Short distance runner to long distance, help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm a short distance sports runner but have recently applied to do a 5K race and I'm struggling with getting myself into long distance, and pacing myself; does anyone have any suggestions to what may help me to go from short distance to long distance and what helps other when running?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'd say building up the distance slowly is a good idea. There are several c25k programmes out there and although you are probably in a position where you can easily run a certain distance, these podcasts normally tell you when to run, brisk walk etc and how to pace yourself, which is what it sounds like you need?

I've been running ca 5k for a while now and want to start running further; for me the just building up slowly and adding on a bit of distance here and there helps - not every single time because your body will get tired, but every other or every third run for example.

I don't know whether you are already using an app such as runkeeper or mapmyrun, they basically track you as you run and give you data on speed and incline - might be useful for you to see the data?

Good luck!