Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ssri withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone had any positive success stories coming off ssris please?

I was misinformed by two gps about how to come off and it's got me in a big pickle.

Comments

• Options
    hi there :wave:

Going cold turkey on meds isn't ideal, as you are likely to experience withdrawal side effects. It's hard to comment without a bit more detail from you, however if you were on a high/maximum dose for a long period of time then it is advised that you reduce the dosage slowly and are closely monitored by your GP. Equally if you've had your meds swapped, there should be monitoring by your GP.

It is possible to come of SSRIs because they aren't always a forever thing. I would suggest speaking to your GP and explaining what's going on and how discontinuation has impacted on your body.
  • Options
    I was on sertraline 50mg for nearly four years. Gp told me to halve it for a month until we moved, then I saw the new gp and he said 25mh is nothing, just stop. Which caused problems. I have now reinstated 12.5mg and am trying to stabilise to then reduce 10% once I have been stable for 4-6 weeks. I just can't believe how bad it has been. I have been off work for nearly six weeks because of the side effects. Neither gp will acknowledge "withdrawal" and say I need to go back on. It's very frustrating
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi 302

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with coming off SSRIs - it's great you're persevering. Now I'm not a doctor, but I would say that you've been given some unhelpful advice there. While some prescribing doctors will say that SSRIs don't cause withdrawal, many people do experience it. It sounds like you know what's happening to you. It doesn't mean you should't come off, but good advice generally suggests coming off slowly and carefully. See for example the mental health charity Mind's information on coming off psychiatric drugs - http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/medication-stopping-or-coming-off/withdrawal-symptoms/#.VOXdUfmsUeE

If you'd like some expert support on coming off anti-depressants, you could get in touch with the Council for Information on Tranquillisers, Antidepressants, and Painkillers. They have a helpline you can call on 0151 932 0102 (open Monday to Friday 10am-1pm, Weekends and Bank Holidays) - http://www.citawithdrawal.org.uk/

The withdrawal can be tough, but lots of people do come off them successfully. Keep asking for support in the meantime, we're here :)