Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Studying with mental health problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I posted this somewhere else but I think I might have broken the rules by mentioning s/h. So came back to good old thesite.

____
I went back to uni part time to do a BA this academic year after graduating with a BSc in 2006 and being 'full time' in the mental health system for several years.

I have applied for DSA but it hasn't come through yet, I've had my needs assessment and it went well and Student Finance England tell me they sent the entitlement letter last week so fingers crossed it'll be soon. Thing I'm most looking forwards to is the mental health study mentor.

I have a piece of coursework (for a level 5 course so it "counts") due in on Wednesday but I'm struggling with motivation / depression type issues and have been self harming more than usual recently. I saw the psychiatrist last week and I'm changing my medication (from antidepressant and antipsychotic to a mood stabiliser and antipsychotic).

I'm just really struggling and know if I get behind I'll probably never catch up.

_____

So that's what has been going on for me recently. Please help me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Motivation can be a tricky bugger whether you've got MH conditions or not. I found the best thing for me is to break the assignment down into tiny bite size pieces and figure out how long each bit will take - like you would with sewing or knitting, and then work out little rewards for getting each bit done - a friend used to allow herself a jellybean for each 10 mins at her desk. Having a workspace helps hugely and making it a comfortable inviting place to be helps too. The self control app is really helpful too as it blocks whatever sites you want to and you can't quit the app whilst the timer is running.

Being gentle on yourself and mindfullness before you sit down to study might help too.