Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Help Till The 5th when I see the GP about depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone - this is purely a long list of me babbling then asking for help.

So recently i have been depressed to hell...
my friend suggested that i do a depression test online, so i did. It showed Severe depression. Out of curiosity i did 6-7 other tests online which all stated severe depression. <--- i know that these cant be trusted, but surely 7-8 tests which are saying the same thing cant be wrong? i decided to look on the nhs sight...
now im guna look at seasonal affective disorder because of the casuses...

- genetics - m mother (who i dont talk to anymore) has this condition.
- childhood experiences - i dont remember anything before the age of nine - after talking to people i found out i may have experienced sexual abuse, and i remember parts and emotions of domestic violence (including glass smashing, screaming and shouting, crying and seeing it all too).
- sociall - i dont have many friends.

im guna look at the symptoms...
- feeling irritable - i can be annoyed extremely easily now, i never used too.
- feelings of guilt - i was my mums carer but i left her, i aborted my child because i was so ill and i lost my nan who i was ectremely close too.
- low self-esteem - this is non existent.
- tearfull - i often have a good cry in the bath for no real reason.
- stress and anxiety - i have always stressed about something and i panic alot at home alone for no reason.
- sex drive - is non exitnet... it been a month...
- im less active - i only move cause i have too.
- im always tired, even after waking up in the morning - i have just been cleared for anemia so it not that.
- difficulty in concentrreating - yeah, espeiclly in the evenings and finding the motivation to actually start work is difficult
- it says the appeptite increases - mine has decreased, i barely eat now.

looking quickly at clinical depression... there are different symptoms...
- continous low mood and sadness - im always feeling like this.
- hopeless - yeah, pretty much all the time.
- suicidal thoughts - do i wonder what it would be like to be hit by a car or jump of high brigdes etc. and i used to self harm, and i still get urges to hurt myself.
changes of appetite - as mentioned before, mine as decreased (this form of depression shows a decrease in appetite).
- disturbed sleep - i struggle to fall to sleep, im constantly waking up for no reason.

now am i looking into this too much?

my appt with the doctor is on the 5th before work, any advice on how to get through this week? it is much apprepcaited.

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi OceanBreezeDreams

It looks like you've done a lot of research already. I think it's good to have an idea of how people might classify depression if that's how you're feeling, and I think you've got that now. It sounds like you've been through a lot of really difficult things - I'm sorry to read that.

I think sometimes focusing too much on a diagnosis can take people in the wrong direction - the most important thing is that you're feeling what you're feeling, and it sounds like you really need some support to work on various things and get yourself feeling better.

It can be hard to know where to start when there's lots of things going on. It might be helpful to think if there's something in particular that's bothering you - are there certain thoughts that keep coming to you, or certain things about your life that seem the most difficult? That might give you an idea of where to start. It's fine if you can't find that at the moment though, it would be understandable if everything seems a bit of a whirlwind.

It's great that you're seeing your doctor next week. In the meantime, keep talking here for support. You could also try Mind's infoline, which offers emotional support as well as advice on different types of issue and where to get help. They're open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday on 0300 123 3393, text: 86463 or email info@mind.org.uk.

And you can call the Samaritans anytime, to talk about anything that you're struggling with. They're a confidential service. You can call them free (including mobiles) on 116 123 or email them on jo@samaritans.org (they are open 24 hours a day, every day).

Do keep asking for support, it sounds like you could really use some at the moment, and it's really positive that you feel able to do so.

Danny
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also just wanted to drop in docready: http://www.docready.org/static/client/index.html#/home

This website is dedicated to helping you prepare for your first visit to the doctor about mental health.

Do let us know how you get on *hug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Evening

I went to the doctors and have been put on anti depressants... however cause of the flu i havent taken them because i cant sleep and these anti depressants make me feel like crap. What i dont get is i was at the doctors in december where i was tested for everything such as underactive thyroid etc and i was clear... she recommended CBT which im arranging still with my personal advisor. However, the doctor i saw mentioned that the doctor i saw in december thought i was depressed..... why didnt she do something then!?!?! why wait until i am struggling so much i dont want to get out of bed or consider what it would be like to drive into another car etc....
    surely she would have known i would have got worse...
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey Ocean Breeze Dreams,
    How each doctor can treat depression may vary depending on which way they align (e.g. towards medication or psychotherapy) and taking into account your factors, e.g. age and severity of your symptoms.

Some conditions can respond well with CBT without the need for medication, so it could be that your doctor in December didn't think you would also need the medication - but the new doctor felt that you could benefit from it. Treating mental health problems can be quite difficult because there isn't one treatment for everyone and everyone reacts differently.

The anti-depressants will take about 4-6 weeks to start working fully, but you may experience side effects in the meanwhile. If things do keep getting worse, don't hesitate to go back and speak to your doctor. Sometimes it can be useful to just check in with your doctor, for them to monitor things with you whilst you wait for CBT.

I hope this helps.